Stellasmomma

Songster
May 23, 2022
I hope this is the right area to post this, I have 16 hens of various breeds and one Silkie mix Roo, I didnt have much luck with my hatches and chick purchases this Spring and ended up with 7 out of 10 being roo's. I rehomed all but one a very handsome silkie mix Roo who has a great demeaner. Well... things are not going as I hoped I think because my hens are standard breeds (no Bantams) they do not respect him, it started with just a quick peck on his head as they walked by and now has gone to full on fighting one of my hens got hold of his comb and made a mess of him luckily it was just the comb and with some care it healed quickly. I need to add that he had started challenging some of my larger hens as though he thought they were other roosters. I now have him separated in his own run area during the day and put him back in the coop at night and that has been fine, I just can no longer let him free range with the girls as that's when the fights break out. He of course is not happy that he is away from everyone but I cannot trust the girls and I don't want him injured again. I have decided to rehome him sadly as I don't want to keep him by himself, I want him to have a happy life he is a nice Roo. My question is has anyone else encountered this? Do the girls not respect him because he is smaller?

He was hatched in April and 8 of the others are about 6 weeks older then him the other 8 range in age from 2 to 5 yrs

That's still pretty young to be impressing the adult ladies. He's maturing and in due time they'll come around.

Some of the dustup might be from the current head hen not wanting to give up her place. Time should cure that.

I hope this is the right area to post this, I have 16 hens of various breeds and one Silkie mix Roo, I didnt have much luck with my hatches and chick purchases this Spring and ended up with 7 out of 10 being roo's. I rehomed all but one a very handsome silkie mix Roo who has a great demeaner. Well... things are not going as I hoped I think because my hens are standard breeds (no Bantams) they do not respect him, it started with just a quick peck on his head as they walked by and now has gone to full on fighting one of my hens got hold of his comb and made a mess of him luckily it was just the comb and with some care it healed quickly. I need to add that he had started challenging some of my larger hens as though he thought they were other roosters. I now have him separated in his own run area during the day and put him back in the coop at night and that has been fine, I just can no longer let him free range with the girls as that's when the fights break out. He of course is not happy that he is away from everyone but I cannot trust the girls and I don't want him injured again. I have decided to rehome him sadly as I don't want to keep him by himself, I want him to have a happy life he is a nice Roo. My question is has anyone else encountered this? Do the girls not respect him because he is smaller?
Maybe move the dominate hen out for a while give him time to adjust to the others and maybe move her down on the pecking order when she returns.

Really I think it is the bantam verse the LF. Some cockerel have the zip to pull it off, others do not. I think giving him to a another bantam flock would be a great solution.

I have read here for a long time, sometimes mixing LF and bantams work, and sometimes it doesn't.

Mrs K

I sadly agree with @Mrs. K, however it sounds like you really like him. If that is the case, perhaps you could intervene. What would happen if you started treating him with extra respect in front of the girls? It is worth a try. Like pick him up and parade him in front of the girls while giving him treats and telling him how good of a rooster he is, etc..;

Back
Top Bottom