Hens: bullying & pecking

ddennis06

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2023
Torrance, California
Howdy! My hens (Buffs) are about 5 months old. All but 1 have started laying. The one who seems to be slightly younger or less developed than the others definately struggles. I believe she might be partially blind. Anyway, very recently, 2 of the girls have snapped at her when grubbing on treats. Today however, one broke some skin on her victim. I seperated them for a about an hour, let the bullied chick back outside and within seconds she was attacked again. Locked the bad chick in the coop for 30 min, let her out… she did it again! I don’t know what to do - please help. This is breaking my heart
PS. Dog crate is coming tomorrow for chicken jail

You can try pinless peeper on the aggressive hen.
1689847964493.png

Today however, one broke some skin on her victim. I seperated them for a about an hour, let the bullied chick back outside and within seconds she was attacked again.
If they aren't pinning her down and making her bleed, I'd let them work it out.
Trying to intervene can make it worse, chickens need to manage their own society.
There should be enough space for any underdog to get away from her 'superiors'.
Spread treats wide and far so everyone gets a chance to have some without treading on a flock mates space. Given that they are just coming into lay, hormones are running high and it will take time for things to settle into the new order.

If the bullied bird is sick or otherwise malformed, she may need to be removed from the flock permanently. There's always a low bird, some cases are more extreme than others.

Again space to retreat is essential.

If one pullet has not started laying and the rest have, that could be the reason she is being ostracized. Can you please post pictures of your setup? How many birds do you have total?
Can you post a picture of the pullet that is being attacked?
Ditto Dat^^^

It could be your space. This often happens as birds reach full size. What was enough space when the were chick s is not enough space when older.

I do think I would order the peepers. They have really helped in smaller flocks.

If one pullet has not started laying and the rest have, that could be the reason she is being ostracized. Can you please post pictures of your setup? How many birds do you have total?
Can you post a picture of the pullet that is being attacked?
I have four total. They have almost 3000 ft.² of outside roaming. They are totally free range and are out of the coop by 5:45 AM and go in at 8:30 PM. Her little pecks aren’t too bad I just want to get ahead of it. Trying to attach images

I have four total. They have almost 3000 ft.² of outside roaming. They are totally free range and are out of the coop by 5:45 AM and go in at 8:30 PM. Her little pecks aren’t too bad I just want to get ahead of it. Trying to attach images

Attachments

• CD1A4D13-24E5-42C7-99C2-DA057643C5BD.jpeg
    CD1A4D13-24E5-42C7-99C2-DA057643C5BD.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom