Hen with very droopy skin below keel - is it a problem?

Jane-chook

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
Hi meet Millie a 10 month old Australorp exceptional layer and a regular broody. I noticed last week (after being on holiday for 2 weeks - neighbours kindly looked after my 2 chooks) that Millie had very saggy skin below her keel bone. The skin is normal colour and there is no fluid just skin. She’s not had any cysts or similar issues. She’s eating, drinking, laying, dust bathing, chatting and seems happy and healthy. She’s gone broody again so photos from broody coop. Do I need to take her to the vet? Thank you! Jane

Attachments

• IMG_8827.jpeg
    IMG_8827.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8830.jpeg
    IMG_8830.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8829.jpeg
    IMG_8829.jpeg
    472.5 KB · Views: 6
Hiya Jane, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I would say that is the result of a breast blister of sorts. It maybe became a blister unknownst to you and broke open and drained leaving all that flab leftover. She may have had feathers there at the time so you couldn't see it. If she's not oozing anything, some of it will shrink back eventually especially given she's so young yet. If you see it oozing anywhere, I'd put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Usually, those come from where they roost. Check to see if the area she roosts is rough and try smooth it out or make her a flat board roost or could even come up with a way to pad where she roosts.

None of us are vets; we've either experienced a lot of ailments or in our years have learned about many of them. None of us would dissuade you from seeing a vet for your chicken, but in this case, she sounds like she's happy and healthy albeit that saggy skin.

Hey Debbie, thank you so much for your reply and advice 🙂 That’s so curious because I checked her over between I went away and there was no evidence of a blister. She has a smooth wooden roost 3cm square - do you think it needs to be wider?

Back
Top Bottom