Hen with an impacted crop? Please help!

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I came home and immediately noticed one hen was acting weird. Her crop is full and hard as a rock and she's making weird gagging movements every five seconds or so. She was fine when I left this morning.

I feed pellets. For the past 2 days I was feeding them mashed potatoes to diversity their diet and offer them something different. I think she got overly excited about getting fed pellets again and ate too much. She's over 1 year old. I don't know if she's laying at the moment because I get very few eggs a day these days.

How do I help? Will it go down by itself in a little while or do I need to do something?

She's moving around the run and picking at the ground and doing the weird head/neck movements. She is a bit slower and puffed up than the rest though. You can tell she's not feeling well.

Last edited:
Here's a video of her doing it.

Attachments

• 20231117_134240.jpg
    20231117_134240.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 4
One of my girls had issues for a long time. Her crop would get very large and hard and didn’t seem to ever fully empty. She got lethargic and weak. I gave her some oil (had to use olive because I didn’t have coconut. Not necessarily recommended because they can aspirate it but i was desperate) and I’d massage her crop a few times a day. I massaged in a downword motion to try and move it along. Eventually it resolved but it took days of doing this.

One of my girls had issues for a long time. Her crop would get very large and hard and didn’t seem to ever fully empty. She got lethargic and weak. I gave her some oil (had to use olive because I didn’t have coconut. Not necessarily recommended because they can aspirate it but i was desperate) and I’d massage her crop a few times a day. I massaged in a downword motion to try and move it along. Eventually it resolved but it took days of doing this.
Thanks for the advice. I read about the coconut oil, so I went to the store and got it. Do you have any idea how much I should give her before massaging her crop?

Thanks for the advice. I read about the coconut oil, so I went to the store and got it. Do you have any idea how much I should give her before massaging her crop?
I think about a table spoon. With coconut oil you can freeze some and make chunks. It’s definitely safer than what I did. Wait for it to get down in there (I waited 30 min) the massage.

Please note I am new to chickens as well. This is my first flock so I am only speaking on my personal experience and not any form of expertise.

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon!

I think about a table spoon. With coconut oil you can freeze some and make chunks. It’s definitely safer than what I did. Wait for it to get down in there (I waited 30 min) the massage.

Please note I am new to chickens as well. This is my first flock so I am only speaking on my personal experience and not any form of expertise.

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon!
Alright, thanks. I was able to get about half of it to move out of the crop. She hopped up on the roost and got ready to sleep. I think I'll check how her crop is doing tomorrow morning.

This is my 4th year keeping chickens (if I'm not mistaken) and this year has so far been full of new things I had to learn how to deal with. Sicknesses, predators, accidents. This year sure has been an experience.

Definitely check her crop in the morning. It should be empty in the AM. If it's not, keep up with the coconut oil. I would massage it 3 times a day if you're able to.

Also, don't let her free range or have anything other than pellets (or wet mash) until you confirm the crop is emptying as it should. Long grass, straw, etc can get stuck in there and impact it.

Depending on the progress over the next few days and the status of her crop in the AM, will determine next steps.

A true impacted crop could require surgery. But if it's grass or fibrous material, you may be able to help it along.

Definitely check her crop in the morning. It should be empty in the AM. If it's not, keep up with the coconut oil. I would massage it 3 times a day if you're able to.
Okay, I definitely will.
Also, don't let her free range or have anything other than pellets (or wet mash) until you confirm the crop is emptying as it should. Long grass, straw, etc can get stuck in there and impact it.
Got it. I think she'll be fine going out in their enclosed run, since it basically only consists of mud right now.

Back
Top Bottom