Hen stopped laying after coyote attack?

GiddyUpGo

Songster
Feb 11, 2021
A few weeks ago we lost one of our hens to a coyote. At first I thought we'd lost two, because I couldn't find our black sex link. Fortunately, she showed up about an hour after the attack but she was injured. Her toe was broken and she was bleeding from her behind -- I don't know if the coyote tried to grab her or if she just hurt herself trying to get away. In the next few days she laid a couple of blood-streaked eggs (ouch) but since then she's recovered just fine. Her injuries are completely healed and she's walking without favoring her injured foot. But I think she has stopped laying now because the drop in egg production is more than you would expect after just losing one hen.

Has anyone else experienced this after a predator attack and was it permanent or did your hen eventually resume laying? How long did it take?

For the record, I bought a big enclosure to put them in during the day. This is our second predator attack in a couple of years so I don't think they'll be free-ranging anymore.

Back
Top Bottom