Hen is throwing up clear brown liquid.

Jayden Owens

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2022
I have three Americana hens who are all about 5 to 6 years old. But I noticed just today that one of them has a lot of clear brownish liquid coming from her beak like she's throwing up. I called my vet and she said to call back in 24 hours if she is still doing it, cause there is a chance she is just trying to get out something bad she ate. In the meantime I have been looking up possibilities, one of the being water belly.

I am very scared since it says that it has no cure and is fatal. These hens are my babies and it will break my heart if I lose any of them.

The other things I noticed of my hen is that she moves much more gingerly, if she moves at all. She is always puffed up and is quite skinny (her and the other hens have been skinny due to the rough winter we had) but the biggest thing is that the underside of her has a very large bulge, just below her cloaca. Which only makes me much more fearful of it being water belly. I felt my other two hens and they kind if bumps in the same area but there no where as big as hers.. She is still eating and has actually been drinking lots of water. Instead of going in her roost spot with the other two she was been spending her time next to the water dish.

She is always quite energetic and you could say she is a sassy chicken when it comes to the way she behaves. But she has been the opposite today, I am unsure how long this has been going on.

My vet will be closed tomorrow on sunday so I will have to wait another day before I can make an appointment. And I am very afraid for my hens life right now, so any help over finding exact answers will help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom