HEN CROWING?! Does she think she's a rooster or what?!

GottaHatchAPlan

Chirping
Apr 3, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Our new hen was impatient to be let out this afternoon. We'd just let her out for a wander around the yard and she wanted to be let out again, but we thought we'd wait another hour or so. At first she was just making her typical 'let me out' noises (a sort of rrawwwk noise) and then suddenly she was crowing like a rooster. I ran out to see if there was something wrong with her but she was fine. Nothing out of the ordinary and the crowing stopped as soon as she heard me coming.

We only have the one hen (she's been poorly, so we're waiting for her to be healthy again before adding a friend) and the run's a working in progress. So far we've just been letting her out of her coop a couple times a day to wander and peck at the yard before leading her back into the coop.
This is the first time she's made this noise, though.
Is this normal? Is there a certain meaning to a hen crowing??

Can you post a pic of your bird? How old were you told she is?
Here she is! I'm pretty sure she's a she...
DSC00992.JPG DSC00993.JPG DSC00991.JPG
The (apparently really shady) lady who sold her to us said she was 8 months old, but the vet put her at 6 months. Either way, she's yet to lay any eggs.

Update: She did it again this morning to be let out.
Some people have suggested she's male but I don't think that's so. She has no spurs, no sickle tail feathers and when we took her to the vet 2 weeks ago he didn't mention anything about her being a rooster.
She matches the pictures of hens in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-australorp-hen-or-rooster-pics.388625/
and not the pictures of Australorp cockerels on google images.
I have found another thread that gives some explanation to her behaviour, though. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/why-do-hens-crow.661708/

Last edited:
I am not able to zoom in on thess photos on my computer...Do I see spurs?

I think she is definitely a she, theres no hackle or saddle feathers. My hen did that raawwk sound the other day (shes 6) and lead of the flock. I think she was impatient or just upset about something and it sounded like she was crowing. Nothing to worry about, chickens make the weirdest noises sometimes for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom