Hen can't stand

Roy

Songster
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Central Illinois
I really need some help with one of my hens, found your website, hope you can help. I have approx. 2 year old:( white hen thast can't stand. She doesn't seem to be in pain but she just lays there. I picked her up and it feels like her left shoulder joint is out of place. Extents much further outward than the other side. I think the rooster was to heavy for her, is there anything that I can do for her, called vet, don't waste your time with a chicken was their response...Need help fast please...Roy

Apparently this is not the forum I thought it was, I thought you people cared about chickens, or maybe it's just because I'm a newbie. For whatever reason, thanks for nothing...she died this morning

I'm very sorry. Other than to tell you to find a different vet that isn't a jerk, there isn't any other advise I could have given you. Some problems are pretty easy to treat yourself and those types of things are a lot easier to respond to. For other things, you really need a vet. It's not because you are new.

Again, I'm sorry you lost her. And I really would look for a different vet, just so you have someone you can trust in the future.

I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. Please don't think we don't care - I for one wasn't even near a computer yesterday until midnight. We all know how hard it is to watch an animal we care for suffer and not know what to do for it, as I'm sure you can see from many other posts here.
That's an unfortunate response you got from your vet, but an all too common one. The best time to look for a vet for your chickens is before you actually need one. There is a changing trend out there as more vets see that people are keeping chickens as pets.

:aww...being prepared for emergencies by reading and preparing for emergency situations (making up a first aid kit and having information to hand on the basics) is the first thing to do...(I am sure you assumed your local vet would not respond as they did so I intend no blame by suggesting this)... as far as this forum goes anything said here is just a guess and you obviously had bad luck in having an emergency when few ppl were online who could have helped... I am assuming your negative comment was made out of grief and so will overlook it. Here are some excellent articles that will help you that I have collected:
http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies

Roy, I am sorry you lost your hen. Sometimes internal injuries result from a heavy rooster as you thought.

However, please don't substitute an online forum with professional veterinary care. This is a message board staffed by volunteers with jobs, families and their own pets and lives. Berating people for not being online to help you is not nice. It is most likely no one answered you because no one knew what to offer in the way of help for you. I would suggest doing a search in your area for a qualified avian vet and if that is not successful, then a couple good poultry raising books might come in handy.
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is the one I keep handy at all times.

I'm so sorry about your loss. I had the same thing happen with one of my hens about a year ago. Didn't even think the possiblity could have been a heavy roo. Now I can see how that could have been the prob. So now you helped me-even if you consider yourself to be a newbie!
big_smile.png
We all care about our chickens here-we just don't have all the answers. Good luck with the rest of your babies and I hope you still join in. I have learned so much from this forum. I don't think I could have made it as far as I have without it.

it doesn't make any differance if it is your first post or your 1000 th post, if anyone her thinks they can help they will, no one wants to give out any bum advice. if you can't get a vet to help you i don't know what to tell you. right now i am holding a baby chicks that was born today, that will not make it though the night. it can't stand and is blind in one eye plus when it does try to sleep, it does it on its back. i will sit here and hold it until it dies or gets better. my bet is on the first.

Roy, I'm sorry your vet was a jerk.

You need to call around, before an emergency happens to any of the others in your flock, and find out who in your area does take care of chickens...perhaps calling your local extension office?

I can understand you are upset that your hen died, but please don't direct your anger where it doesn't need to be...at us.

I saw your post the day you posted it, but I have not heard of this problem, and assumed someone else might have...it's far better to know when to keep your mouth shut (meaning me not offering advice that was incorrect) and when to help...and that's what I did.

hey all, I must offer apologies for my bad behavior. You all were right, the words came from grief and frustation of my FORMER vet. I meant no harm, I was just trying everything I could think of to save my hen. I love all animals and when I see one that is hurt, I will help it in any way that I can, as I'm sure most of you would. Please accept my apologies for my bad behavior...Roy

Back
Top Bottom