Helped a malpositioned chick out of its egg...now what???

seberger22

Chirping
May 25, 2017
The chick had its foot over its head and it couldn't zip. I chipped away some of the shell for it. (Please..no comments about not assisting chicks..it's already been done and it's not what this post is for. Thanks!)
It quickly got out on its own, but it is having trouble getting on its feet and is mostly on its back. Is there anything I can do for it? Or should I just wait a few hours to see if it finds its feet?
Is it common for foot over head malpositions to have difficulty with their feet or legs? Toes look a little curled but maybe that's normal for just having hatched? I haven't noticed before.
It does get up with its feet under it, but it seems to keep ending up on its back.
IMG_5161 (2).JPG

Is The Baby Still In The Incubator Or In The Brooder? I Have One Like That I Put A Coffee Filter In A Small Bowl To Hold Him Upright With His Legs Tucked Up Under Him. Maybe It Will Help Yours Gain Some Strength After His Hatch...Worth A Try

Is The Baby Still In The Incubator Or In The Brooder? I Have One Like That I Put A Coffee Filter In A Small Bowl To Hold Him Upright With His Legs Tucked Up Under Him. Maybe It Will Help Yours Gain Some Strength After His Hatch...Worth A Try
He's doing well this morning!

That's good to hear! :) Hatching is hard work and chicks often emerge exhausted and when they have been malpositioned, they sometimes just need a bit of time to stretch and find their heads and feet. Well done you for successfully helping the little one hatch!

Back
Top Bottom