Help with Wheels on a coop.

kelser01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
So I am totally new to Chickens. I'm a bit of a DIYer (well for a chick anyway) and am in the process of building a coop. I was surprised when I ran into Home Depot and Lowes yesterday that I could not find a wheel set up that would work, nor could any of the sales people help me. What I asked them for was an outdoor wheel that could roll across the grass, ie a lawnmower wheel or wheelbarrow etc. Both places told me they had replacement wheels but nothing that would hold the wheel on or serve as an axle. I know it can not be as hard or expensive as they were making it out to be (one recommended I buy a garden cart for $100 and pull the wheel set up off!). Anyway I figured there would be some great ideas here in this forum
smile.png

Thanks!
Kelly

buy wheels, go to local welding shop and have them make you something, very easy and more times than not, I bet if it's a pretty female doing the asking.. the price will be close to free...

got our wheels at the local Tractor Supply. Air filled with tubes. found some long 3/4" bolts and welded them on head first on a steel plate, (3.5x6"). Then cut the threads off the bolts to the proper length for the wheels. drilled a hole in each for a cotter pin. then with that setup, we just drilled holes in the steel plates and bolted them to the legs of the coop. its worked well so far, survived and f1 and f5 twister this spring. they did blow the coop over once but the wheels survived. we do not have any closeup pix of the wheel assembly, but I will try to post some of the coop and maybe you can see.
https://profiles.google.com/104588078926395901722 see if this link helps.

Last edited:
Quote:
Waynes idea will work. Harbor Freight has pneumatic wheels and tires, mounted, for under $10. Saw them once for $5 there. They are replacement wheel/tires for handtrucks and will be great for your application. Be sure to use pneumatic tires. Hard rubber tires dig into the ground. Good luck...........Pop

Thanks for all the replies! I could not find anything on the link above, it just goes to a profile page. Also thought I'd mention this is a small coop for 4 hens so dont really need a trailer
smile.png

Thanks again!
Kelly

Might want to take the page from the lawn mower folks and simply use lawn mower parts and wheels.

If you got the parts off an old mower (or bought new parts), with just a few holes, you could have some adjustable wheels. Lower the wheels to roll the coop & raise em once you move it.

P0510128-00001.png

If you have a Harbor Freight tools in your area they sell all kinds of wheels......if not they do have an online store I believe it is harborfreight.com or harborfreighttools.com... google search it if those don't work and good luck

Back
Top Bottom