help with sexing bantam cochins

joydix

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
maybe wrong forum and just unclear how to post but here goes....i have two different ages of bantam cochins. can anyone help with sexing. the combs look def. PINK in sunlight...doesnt show so much in these pics tho....these pics are what i was SURE was cockerel but now not sure. HE/SHE does not have any male posture. it was slow to get tail feathers tho and had an early comb. now seem totally female. not positive but thinking 6 weeks. not less than 5 for sure and could be 7weeks....got at tractor supply and they put the new batches in with ones that didn't sell.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpg
    IMG_2265.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 16
2nd chick....she /he is 4 weeks i think....maybe 5...same thing as first but got tail feathers and full tail early, no male posture, feathered shoulders early....the white one same age...feathered out quickly, really full tail feathers...no upright posture/ thanks everyone for any help all opinions welcome!!

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 20
maybe wrong forum and just unclear how to post but here goes....i have two different ages of bantam cochins. can anyone help with sexing. the combs look def. PINK in sunlight...doesnt show so much in these pics tho....these pics are what i was SURE was cockerel but now not sure. HE/SHE does not have any male posture. it was slow to get tail feathers tho and had an early comb. now seem totally female. not positive but thinking 6 weeks. not less than 5 for sure and could be 7weeks....got at tractor supply and they put the new batches in with ones that didn't sell.
that last photo in my first post actually goes with my reply (2nd post)...she/he is in the 4-5 week bracket...i can tell by the white feathers in neck....

that last photo in my first post actually goes with my reply (2nd post)...she/he is in the 4-5 week bracket...i can tell by the white feathers in neck....
i only kept ONE which was what i wanted. i was sure from day one BOY. i wanted be sure he got a really good home as i was really loving him. it took awhile but he turned out to be a pullet and i named her magic. it took me weeks to stop calling her HIM. She and the two brabanter chics were raised together and they are a super cute 3some! Little sprout, carrot and magic.....they come right over and love to be pet but do not appreciate being picked up so much. i am able to pick them up easily but they just dont like it. i have no idea what turned out what. the woman who took ALL of them said she never tries to sex. she got what she got...what a good attitude. i like the guessing game! then i hatched 4 little barnyard mix and i was wrong about them too! those are 1 boy and 3 pullets....2 are banty size and 2 look like they will be good sized hens! Little rocket will have to go sadly. he is very unique looking bantam. one little mix is part silkie....feathered feet, 5 toes, silkie posture, slight head thing that sprout up. she is very sweet looking all black skin beak eyes.really lovely. little roo is with mom there..zoom in on his eyeliner!!

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2087.jpg
    IMG_2087.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom