Help with "Broomstick Method" (culling method)

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
13 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Okay, gruesome topic, I know.

And please, nobody respond or PM me about how evil it is to cull (spelled kill) a chicken. Sometimes it is necessary.

I've tried other methods, but have found the broomstick the quickest and easiest for my needs when I need to cull a bird for either illness, poor behavior, etc.

But sometimes I seem to do it right, and other times not so much.

I just culled 2 unneeded roosters (tried several times to re-home, no luck, they were starting to cause problems in the flock).

Okay...the gruesome part.

I've watched the videos. I've got the right set up. I place the bird down on hard surface, then place the broomstick as near the base of the neck as I can. After standing on the broomstick, I pick up and pull up the feet with a quick jerk. I feel the snap. Sometimes I seem to do it better than others.

This last time, I must have done it wrong, breaking the neck higher up? Death was not as quick as I thought it should be. They did a whole lot of flapping...several minutes with gasping.

I know adrenaline causes the muscles to contract upon death, so chickens flap after death, but I don't think they should have this much, which makes me think my technique is sloppy.

Someone walk me through, step by step, the proper method to quickly and painlessly snap their necks at the base so that death is instant....and tell me how long they typically flap. Is it 30 seconds? Or longer.

How will I know I've done it right?

Thank you.
LofMc

I agree with you, sometimes this works better than others. I think it might be the bird too. Some birds are going to flap more. However, I will follow along. I do know that I am so afraid that I am going to do it wrong and not get a kill, that I tend to over do it.

I only use this once in a while, generally when a bird has been injured, and I just want it over.

Mrs K

Okay, I've found time at 2:00 am.

I find holding the hens and very gently swing them from there feet really calms them down.

1- Place chicken straight on back
2- Put one part of stick over neck (I am not exactly sure where I lay it on my hens... But I always notice I place it right when their mouth opens)
3-Step one foot on the count to 3 then lay other foot on, and pull... With a jerk.
I always place the stick when I notice their mouths open.

I have 9 to butcher tomorrow and I can get pictures???

I sometimes have my brother help me and it helps. :hmm

Okay, I've found time at 2:00 am.

I find holding the hens and very gently swing them from there feet really calms them down.

1- Place chicken straight on back
2- Put one part of stick over neck (I am not exactly sure where I lay it on my hens... But I always notice I place it right when their mouth opens)
3-Step one foot on the count to 3 then lay other foot on, and pull... With a jerk.
I always place the stick when I notice their mouths open.

I have 9 to butcher tomorrow and I can get pictures???

I sometimes have my brother help me and it helps. :hmm

What part does your brother play when he helps?
Does he hold the bird while you place the broom stick?

Place chicken straight on back

This is the wrong way around. The chicken should be lying on it's front for this method

.... and why wait for a count of 3??

I place the bird on the ground chest down whist holding it's feet behind. I do it in a darkened room so they are calmer. You can stroke them to calm them. I place the broom shank right behind the head, so at the top of the neck, not the bottom. The broom head keeps the shank from applying pressure to the windpipe until I quickly stand on it either side of the head and pull sharply upwards and forwards on the feet so that the neck is being put under the most strain at the point where it has least flexion. Like @OrganicFarmWife I give a second or third pull immediately afterwards just to be sure. Some still flap up to and even longer than a minute afterwards, it seems to vary quite a lot from one individual to another.

I can't say that I am by any means an expert at the technique but this is what I have found works best.

I have started dropping them into a homemade cone after cervical dislocation and severing the head with a sharp knife at the point of the neck break so that they can bleed out a little as they spasm.

This is the best I've seen.
Items marked with *'s are very important points.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

*Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

*Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

Back
Top Bottom