help with 4 week old australorps. Girls I hope!

hovergirl

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Roosters or pullets? We've had these australorps for 4 weeks. Chicken #1 is lagging behind all the other chicks as far as feathers, and has only a tiny tail. I started to worry she was a rooster...but then, chicken #2 started getting so big and loud, and legs are really thick. Now I don't know what to think. Is it too soon to tell?

chicken 1 - I tried to show the comb
29110_100_1521.jpg

chicken 1 - why don't I have a tail? and my back is still kind of downy
29110_100_1522.jpg

Chicken 2 - I am huge
29110_100_1524.jpg

side by side
29110_100_1529.jpg

29110_100_1528.jpg

thanks for the help - Hovergirl
2 australorps 2 RIR 1 barred rock 1 EE 3 dogs and 2 cats and 2 kids!

By 4-5 weeks, it was easy to pick our roo out from our Australorp girls. His comb was a lot bigger than theirs and he had started getting wattles already. Plus his was turning red. In the pix, yours all look like our girls did at that age. I do see what the others are referring to in pic 4, but I still think she might be a girlie. Do any of their combs look reddish? Do you see any wattles yet? Ours are 6 weeks old now and it's so obvious that anyone could pick out the roo. You will know soon!!

Oops! Just noticed the shorter tail on the front chick in the 4th picture. It looks like our roo's tail. All 8 of our girls (all Australorps) have the longer tail like the chick in the back. The one in the front has a shorter tail like our roo.

Apologies to those who have seen this picture before. These were taken at 5 weeks. The roo is on the front right side with the red comb. See how short his little tail is compared to the others.
28482_005.jpg

I have the same situation. I ordered 2 female aussies and one is fully feathered and the other looks so pitiful compared. I thought I might have a roo too. I will just have to wait and see. This pass week the slower growing one has really come along in growth, so they might both be pullets. We hate the waiting game dont we:/

Last edited:
I will *guess* that you have one of each. Will you be able to keep a boy?

ETA -- last year my BA pullet grew much faster than my SLW cockerel did. She towered over him when they were little, even though they were the same age. Now that they're grown he is quite a bit bigger than she is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom