HELP! Unknown??? Chickens with holes poked in them, but not pecking holes...

mack13

Hatching
Apr 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

so my family and i have started raising meat birds to sell. we have about 170 at this point and we keep having a bunch of mystery deaths.

Lately, we think we've diagnosed some of the flock as coccidiosis and will start treatment today. But a fair number of them have almost a flesh eating disease.

Right on their back, not at the vest but an inch beside it, some chickens get a literally hole in their body cavity. One of them was small, the other was massive and you could see inside of it. They were acting completely fine and totally unbothered by this??? Which is perplexing but I put them down anyways. It didn't seem like they were being picked on or pecked by the others, just several with literal holes or slices in their backs, the same place. One was bleeding and had a clear discharge, but the other wasn't.

We have them in an enclosed space with no feasible ways predators can get in. There's nothing being attacked. I have no clue.

I've tried everything, no clue what is going on and I'm so upset.

Hi everyone,

so my family and i have started raising meat birds to sell. we have about 170 at this point and we keep having a bunch of mystery deaths.

Lately, we think we've diagnosed some of the flock as coccidiosis and will start treatment today. But a fair number of them have almost a flesh eating disease.

Right on their back, not at the vest but an inch beside it, some chickens get a literally hole in their body cavity. One of them was small, the other was massive and you could see inside of it. They were acting completely fine and totally unbothered by this??? Which is perplexing but I put them down anyways. It didn't seem like they were being picked on or pecked by the others, just several with literal holes or slices in their backs, the same place. One was bleeding and had a clear discharge, but the other wasn't.

We have them in an enclosed space with no feasible ways predators can get in. There's nothing being attacked. I have no clue.

I've tried everything, no clue what is going on and I'm so upset.
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom