HELP: UNEXPECTED FLOCK ARRIVAL

OstrichEmu

Chirping
Sep 10, 2021
Gauteng, South Africa
Hi all, last night, around 10pm, our chickens were delivered. We weren't prepared for the just yet, our coop is run down and haggard (came with the house) so we did a super quick fix up this morning to make it livable for the new girls. There's 5 (three apparent pure bred, two I'm not sure, will take pics)

Biggest problem: feed.
We have samp (crushed maize) from the kitchen they are chowing on for now and they're catching bugs in the old coop. Cash is so so tight right now so I cant buy a bag of feed (and they Arrived WAY earlier than expected, a few weeks too early)
What the heck can I do? These girls are so tame and gentle and our 11 month daughter is absorbed. I want to give them the best life. They will be free range with veggie scraps and occasional snacks etc and feed but right now was just... Not good timing.

I'm on the verge of making a go fund me just for one sack of feed but I'm so worried someone will recognize me (From family or friends, they don't know our current financial situation, a little embarrassed, we took a huge risk and paid off a massive amount of debt this month)

What can I do for them? I have popcorn kernels, pumpkin and butternut seeds and (only if I really have to) heirloom vegetable seeds. Their coop is covered with grape vines so they have grape leaves they can eat and soon we will have mulberries for them.

Maybe a stretch but will cat/dog food suffice as well? Just for the meantime, With samp and maize, grass cuttings and whatever fresh (dietary safe) veg I can organise?

I'm thinking of making a WhatsApp group for chickens... For emergency advice or to show off your birds/coop/whatever.... If interested, let me know

How old are they?

They should be kept cooped for several days until they know that's where to sleep before free ranging.

What's your climate? Do you have lots growing right now?

At that age daily nutrition is more important since they are still growing.

Dry cat food in very small quantities can help with protein. Any table scraps from your meals as well as greens like cabbage, kale, broccoli, and other veggies are acceptable even if not a complete feed.
They will need access to grit to help break down the foods you have on hand.

How long until you can get a bag of feed?

Maybe a stretch but will cat/dog food suffice as well? Just for the meantime, With samp and maize, grass cuttings and whatever fresh (dietary safe) veg I can organise?
Cat or dog food can help, but is usually more expensive than chicken feed. Maybe that is different in your area?

The other things you mention are going to be pretty low in protein, so the chickens will definitely need some good sources of protein. That could include bugs and worms, cat or dog food, meat or fish or eggs or cheese, cooked beans, and probably many other things as well.

Chickens eat more food than many people realize, so you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much it takes to keep them fed. A common estimate is 4 ounces of dry chicken feed per chicken per day, but they need much larger amounts if they are eating things like grass and bugs that have a lot of water and/or fiber.

At that age daily nutrition is more important since they are still growing.

Dry cat food in very small quantities can help with protein. Any table scraps from your meals as well as greens like cabbage, kale, broccoli, and other veggies are acceptable even if not a complete feed.
They will need access to grit to help break down the foods you have on hand.

How long until you can get a bag of feed?
I'm a graphic designer, I'm working on a website that's still going to take a few more days. Once that's done and paid, I should be able to get a bag of feed..

Cat or dog food can help, but is usually more expensive than chicken feed. Maybe that is different in your area?

The other things you mention are going to be pretty low in protein, so the chickens will definitely need some good sources of protein. That could include bugs and worms, cat or dog food, meat or fish or eggs or cheese, cooked beans, and probably many other things as well.

Chickens eat more food than many people realize, so you might be unpleasantly surprised by how much it takes to keep them fed. A common estimate is 4 ounces of dry chicken feed per chicken per day, but they need much larger amounts if they are eating things like grass and bugs that have a lot of water and/or fiber.
There's no shortage of bugs at least, and tons of other cat and dog food (it's high quality food at least)

@21hens-incharge @NatJ This MIGHT be controversial, but I've read that cannabis leaves are a great source of protein. We have a ton growing (came with the house) and of I can supplement with that along with whatever else we have, maybe that could get us through till we can get them the good stuff. I'll make sure there's no trichomes on them

Right now they're sandbathing and chasing grubs (never been so glad to have random worms). We're in the southern hemisphere so it's luckily not too hot or cold now so they can settle in. Cats know chickens so they won't dare risk the feather fury. The girls used to sleep indoors so we're going to extend the coop to go into the garage so they can sleep in there in winter or if temps get high (we don't use the garage whatsoever) I just don't feel like scrubbing kitchen floors with poop everyday with a toddler hanging on me too lol😂

@21hens-incharge @NatJ This MIGHT be controversial, but I've read that cannabis leaves are a great source of protein. We have a ton growing (came with the house) and of I can supplement with that along with whatever else we have, maybe that could get us through till we can get them the good stuff. I'll make sure there's no trichomes on them
Sorry, I don't know anything about feeding that specific plant to chickens or other animals.

But in general:

Chickens are usually pretty good at deciding what is safe to eat and what is not, if you give them choices. So putting some in their run would probably be safe enough, as long as they also have other food choices, and then see what they decide. When chickens are allowed out to free range, you do not usually have to worry about any plants being poisonous, because the chickens will make safe decisions for themselves.

If you chop things up and mix them together, the chickens cannot sort out what they want. This is good if you have a properly-balanced feed (chickens cannot skip parts and end up malnourished), but bad if you have things that might not be safe for chickens to eat.

If you provide only one thing and the chickens have to choose between eating that or starving, they will usually eat it at some point. Again, this can be good if it is a healthy food and the chickens are just being picky, but bad if it is not safe for them to eat.

There will always be one chicken that is extra-stupid, or one food that is tasty despite being dangerous, so letting the chickens choose is not 100% guaranteed to work. But it will keep most chickens safe, most of the time. By safe I mean "not poisoned." They may not choose foods that keep them in perfect health or growing optimally, but they will typically choose foods that keep them alive and in reasonable health, if those foods are available for them to choose.

Back
Top Bottom