Help!! Sudden respiratory distress!

UrbanHomesteadTX

Songster
Mar 6, 2024
North Texas
Two day old chick, we just started transporting it to take it back home after a classroom hatch. After moving it to a box with the others and taking it outside I noticed it flopped over and making gasping respirations. It's just laying opening and closing its mouth with deep breaths. Every few minutes its shaking its head and flipping over, but otherwise not moving, and its breathing keeps getting faster!

What's going on? This literally just started up so suddenly.

Update, did a quick check of its airways and cant see anything obstructive in its throat. The only thing I can think of is maybe it breathed in water, while I was picking them up this one ran and stood in the water. Could this be a possibility?

Last edited:
That chick is probably dying. In my experience they gasp near the end.

With chicks that young it’s hard to guess what might be the problem. It could be a respiratory disease or just something wrong internally. If you have more than one pass away you could try to get one necropsied by the state vet. If only one dies then it was probably just something wrong with that chick.

That chick is probably dying. In my experience they gasp near the end.

With chicks that young it’s hard to guess what might be the problem. It could be a respiratory disease or just something wrong internally. If you have more than one pass away you could try to get one necropsied by the state vet. If only one dies then it was probably just something wrong with that chick.
I think it is, I'm just hoping to see if theres something I can do for it. It's just so surprising, was perfectly fine and running around one minute, then literally laying down and gasping the next.

Back
Top Bottom