Help sick chicken!!! Please

I also think she's depressed in her cage. On pretty days I let her free range and she loves it. She will walk and pick up bugs and eat grass you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her. But I've seen her do the penguin stance trying to use the bathroom. She does go every day it's alway yellow and green like this picture and it doesn't look good

Attachments

• 20230130_140920.jpg
    20230130_140920.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 3
I also think she's depressed in her cage. On pretty days I let her free range and she loves it. She will walk and pick up bugs and eat grass you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her. But I've seen her do the penguin stance trying to use the bathroom. She does go every day it's alway yellow and green like this picture and it doesn't look good
You're right that poop really doesn't look good. I'm sorry. You're doing your best though and I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is something she can overcome.

What is your location? Exactly when did you bring these pullets home? Timeline is important. Have they been an addition to a flock you already had or are they your sole chickens as a starter flock?

What is your location? Exactly when did you bring these pullets home? Timeline is important. Have they been an addition to a flock you already had or are they your sole chickens as a starter flock?
I live in eastern Tennessee, she's been in the garage in a dog cage since last Tuesday. I let her out in the yard by herself on pretty days. I had 4 older mixed breeds the day we brought them home which was saturday the 21st. but we got rid of them that afternoon. It rained on them all day Sunday they wouldn't go in the coop they stayed outside. Then last Tuesday I noticed this sick one under the ladder not eating or drinking and had raspy breathing so I thought she had a cold at first. The first two days her poop was a thick yellow very odd texture made me think of egg yolk so we thought maybe she was egg bound. Now it's like the picture I posted last. And I'm looking into egg peritonitis now possibly this is very new to us. We only had the 4 before these for a week but when the golden comets came available that's what we had been wanting. And 10 was to many for our coop. Thanks for any help!!!!! It means a lot!!

Of course, this could be any of the many chicken diseases that are possible, but I'd say the most likely is coccidiosis, given the time line.

Chickens imported from elsewhere have not been conditioned to be resistant to the local coccidia, and since she's been on your local soil, and the incubation period is 5 to 7 days, I would guess there's a good chance this is coccidiosis.

Get some Corid, the liquid kind. It treats coccidia in all animals. Give the sick chicken a drench dose of undiluted Corid immediately, directly into her beak once a day for three days at .1ml per pound of body weight.

In addition, mix Corid at two teaspoons to one gallon of water for all to drink for the next five days, mixing fresh each day. All must have this water, including the sick one. Wait a week after the fifth day, and then start them on a new five day round to catch any eggs that have hatched. This blocks thiamine (B-1) so do not give vitamins with thiamine during treatment.

Coccidia are parasites found in all soil all over the world, hundreds of strains that target specific animals. There are nine strains alone that target just chickens, and they vary from place to place. Normally, animals raised on a local soil become resistant, but animals moved to a new locale won't be resistant to those coccidia. Rain and wetness encourages population explosions, so it's even more likely this is what's making your chicken sick, and others may be getting sick at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom