HELP! ROOSTER IS LIMPING!

But I guess that charge doesn't include the doctor's visit and medicine charges? I'll bet we're looking at more like $500.00-$600.00. Oh, well. I need a diagnosis. I can't just second guess what is going on. I don't have enough expertise... He might have scaly leg mites as a minor secondary issue and an injured leg as the primary problem. Right?

I doubt it. I would save my money, if I were you. Because others might get it. When I said three weeks in a hospital pen, I meant a hospital pen as in a quarantine pen in our barn, not an actual pet hospital. Our roo, Valiant, is here, at home. And we treated him for three weeks with the Castor oil and tonight he says he's ready to go Just has a slight limp now I told him a couple more days, and he's outta there. Do you have someone who could help you handle your rooster? Scaley Leg mites is not hard to treat. Do as you like, but if I were you, if you're willing to spend the money on your bird, which is admirable, I'd save it for more serious issues. Read the thread, at least.

I just managed to get him in the cage. I am sooo proud of myself. Bribed him with lettuce. He was so good. Didn't try to peck me once, which is unheard of. I think he is a smart boy and realizes I am trying to help him in an important way because of his foot issue. So now I can take him in bright and early so the vet will have all day to watch him before I pick him up. I am not sure that his problem is really scaly leg mites. I suspect it may be something else... Hopefully simple. I have to be sure of what is wrong before I begin treatment. No, no one else could treat his legs, unless at night, when he is calmer, like he was tonight. I shut him outside the coop, and he was on a high perch roosting, where I didn't have to crack my head on beams or risk getting my eye poked out while dealing with him. Much easier than trying to get him into a cage from inside the cramped, low-roofed coop. I have to think like HE thinks. I am a breast cancer survivor, and $350.00 for hospital care seems like a bargain when your energy level is as low as mine is. I have been pecked by him many times, and it really hurts, so I just let him do his own thing, with a fence inbetween us, and we co-exist peacefully now. This health problem has thrown me for a loop, since I have to deal with him up close and personal in order to get him to the vet, but like I say, I am MIGHTY proud of myself for coaxing him into the cage tonight. Now, if I can just fit the big cage in my car, we are all set to go meet Dr. Grover tomorrow and find out what is up with his foot. I'm hoping for a minor sprain, but it could be a spur issue. We will see. He hasn't been to the vet since he was a young cockerel, only 6 weeks old. The vet at that time called him a "very good boy." I wonder what they will have to say about him tomorrow. Hmmm. LOL. I am a bit worried what the sedation might due to him. They told me it wouldn't be a problem dealing with him, and I retorted, "You have not met my rooster!" They laughed. I hope they don't accidentally hurt him while trying to figure out the problem!

If you need to handle him, lay him on his back. He will not struggle much, if at all, this way, I would suggest you go watch the vet, see how they handle him and how they treat him. Because you never know when you will have issues. All the best. Let us know.

If you need to handle him, lay him on his back. He will not struggle much, if at all, this way, I would suggest you go watch the vet, see how they handle him and how they treat him. Because you never know when you will have issues. All the best. Let us know.

I agree, they calm down ONCE you get them on their back.
He has food and water right? You don't want him to get weak too.

Thanks for the tip about laying him on his back. I appreciate it. Great news! My Boy is Fine! I finally caught him and took him to the vet today. He was sooo good. They wrapped him up in a blanket like a Baby, and he was so compliant and placid when they were checking out his leg. I was so impressed with ALL of them, doctor, assistant, and my rooster. They think he got overly amorous while mating and got a soft tissue injury in his knee, and his toe is a bit swollen, but there is NO sign of bumblefoot, and the doctor wasn't sure wheth...er he has scaly leg mites or not, and said maybe his legs are just a bit on the ugly side-- LOL-- but he gave him an injection that gets rid of scaly leg mites and also all intestinal parasites, for only $20.00, and he said it can't hurt Baby and won't impair his fertility at all. I am going to buy Baby yogurt today to help restore the good bacteria. I am so relieved. The doctor told my Boy that he is a handsome rooster. The young doctor was quite handsome, HIMSELF! Our trip to the vet was worth EVERY penny. Peace of mind, and I now have a second avian vet and can rest assured if we have a serious illness in the future, they will be able to deal with my feisty boy just fine. Whew! Thank you, God!

What brand of yogurt do you think would be the best to give him to restore the good bacteria the shot no doubt wiped out? I usually just buy generic brands of plain yogurt, but maybe they don't have enough active culture in them?

You can get probiotics at any feed store, or you should be able to. They're specific to animals, including chickens, and are better than yogurt. But if you can't find them, ask the vet for some, or just use yogurt or buttermilk Buttermilk is a little better.. What was the injection the vet gave him?

Ivermectin-- it kills parasites, external and internal, worms, and scaly leg mites. Baby is looking great! I'm not letting him mate for a few days, because he rushes around like a madman, chasing his girls. He's not happy about that, but I want that leg to heal. I do let him sleep with his gals in the cozy coop at night. But I let him out first thing in the morning. He's always the first to come out of the coop-- and then I shut the door before the hens come out and let them play on the other side of the coop all day. Thanks for the priobiotics info. They do LOVE their yogurt, though. What brand of buttermilk do you recommend?

My boy's doctor was not convinced he had Scaly Leg Mites. He has seen the disorder and said he wasn't sure. His legs do have some large scales, but he said maybe Baby just has ugly legs. Nonetheless, he said the injection couldn't hurt him, and since the rooster is so hard for me to deal with, he recommended the Ivermectin, to be on the safe side. I don't normally allow drugs and such, but since I had him there at the office, I thought it was probably a good idea, since we didn't know for sure about the scaly leg mites, and I read they are a common problem among Utah backyard chicken owners, and he is 3 1/2, and if he does have them, they could start causing problems at any time. However, the vet said he highly doubted Baby has any INTERNAL parasites. I was very pleased to hear that. He said he could also give me pain medicine, but that he thought it would be quite difficult for me to administer to him, and that he thought he would be fine by the end of this week. I might try giving them buttermilk, though. I don't think I have ever given them that. The expensive Oikos yogurt is so delicious. The hens LOVED it, but Baby didn't eat it as well as I thought he might. He ate some but he left quite a bit in the dish, which I thought was unusual.

Back
Top Bottom