HELP! premie duckling

justinaK

Hatching
May 7, 2024
hi! this is my first time incubating duck eggs i had a batch of 7 pekins duck eggs and 4 were fertile at first then 3 died inside the shell a few days later only 1 hatched but it pipped a few days early and the shell was hard and the membrane was like paper and it was hard for the duckling to hatch fully so i helped it out and it’s been 2 days later it’s still not moving as much it chirps and moves often but stays curled up and has its eyes closed i tried feeding it and giving it some water it barley ate i don’t think it realized that it had food next to it but it definitely knew that i was giving it water because it was drinking it fine and the yolk sack has a long brown stick looking thing attached to it i’m not sure if it’s the umbilical cord or not but the sack is fully dissolved, the ducks hair/feathers are almost fully dry and the duck is very wobbly too which i’m assuming is normal since it just hatched and is a premie

Hi,

If you posted this in the Duck forum, you'd get some duck folks to help. I only know chickens so I'd know a few suggestions but I know it could be different for a duck.

Good luck!!

hi! this is my first time incubating duck eggs i had a batch of 7 pekins duck eggs and 4 were fertile at first then 3 died inside the shell a few days later only 1 hatched but it pipped a few days early and the shell was hard and the membrane was like paper and it was hard for the duckling to hatch fully so i helped it out and it’s been 2 days later it’s still not moving as much it chirps and moves often but stays curled up and has its eyes closed i tried feeding it and giving it some water it barley ate i don’t think it realized that it had food next to it but it definitely knew that i was giving it water because it was drinking it fine and the yolk sack has a long brown stick looking thing attached to it i’m not sure if it’s the umbilical cord or not but the sack is fully dissolved, the ducks hair/feathers are almost fully dry and the duck is very wobbly too which i’m assuming is normal since it just hatched and is a premie
Can you post pictures
It doesnt really work like that, ducklings follow their own time table, hatching early can be caused by speed up development due to an incubator running too warm. 3 days early isn't too crazy, but it was hatched prematurely due to assistance
it sounds like the assist was rushed and it wasn't ready to come out.
It can take up to 3 days for ducklings to hatch. From pip to out. A single pip doesn't mean its ready.

Back
Top Bottom