Help! Our missing hen has returned and she's not alone!

Our hen that we thought was snatched by a hawk about 4-6 weeks ago returned yesterday with 7 chicks. We are happy, shocked, overwhelmed, and TOTALLY unprepared. So many questions!

We have her and the chicks isolated from the rest of the flock in a 2' x 4' wooden box, until I can build something for them. I realize they will outgrow that box soon, so I'm desperate for some advice. Thanks in advance...
I agree. Its not unusual for a broody hen to go missing and reappear with chicks. Let her raise them with the flock she free ranges with.

WOW!!! Integrating them with the flock? I'm willing to try it, but I'll admit I'm a bit nervous. When she "returned" I saw her out in the chicken yard walking toward the coop with her chicks looking like ducklings behind her. She didn't make it to the coop before we scooped them all up, so I don't know if the other hens saw her and the chicks or not. As far as their father, I just got rid of him a week ago because he was so aggressive with the girls and us, so we're hoping one of the chicks is a male.

As a side note, we found her nest, and it was roughly 20' outside of the chicken yard under some plants in the garden. Apparently, she was jumping the fence daily for feed and water, and returning to her nest in the evening, thus missing "role call" (head count) when I closed up the coop at sundown.

Last edited:
WOW!!! Integrating them with the flock? I'm willing to try it, but I'll admit I'm a bit nervous. When she "returned" I saw her out in the chicken yard walking toward the coop with her chicks looking like ducklings behind her. She didn't make it to the coop before we scooped them all up, so I don't know if the other hens saw her and the chicks or not. As far as their father, I just got rid of him a week ago because he was so aggressive with the girls and us, so we're hoping one of the chicks is a male.

As a side note, we found her nest, and it was roughly 20' outside of the chicken yard under some plants in the garden. Apparently, she was jumping the fence daily for feed and water, and returning to her nest in the evening, thus missing "role call" (head count) when I closed up the coop at sundown.
From my experience, the rest of the flock probably know perfectly well what's been going on, and likely saw or heard the new family before you did. Like Dobie Lover, I have had several broodies raise multiple clutches within the flock, free ranging, and have never one attack a chick; in fact, I have more often seen big hens and cocks literally jump back to avoid stepping on a chick that unexpectedly zooms in front of them! When they are a bit older, a grumpy hen might give a little disciplinary peck to put a chick in its place, but it won't do any damage, and mummy hen will see off any aggressive members of the flock.

OK, I'm as nervous as a new father, but I took y'alls advice and am integrating them with the other girls. We took the whole box with mama and chicks and put it in the coop. I monitored them for awhile and observed the other girls calmly walking in and out of the coop and "visiting" the newborns. You can tell mama is in the "protect" mode, so we're going to let nature take it's course. Thanks a ton for the advice! If this works, it will save me from having to build a "chick pen". :celebrate

Attachments

• IMG_20210702_151811152 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210702_151811152 (2).jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

IMG_20190727_141421363.jpg
IMG_20200515_062924809.jpg
IMG_20200826_202212464.jpg

OK, I'm as nervous as a new father, but I took y'alls advice and am integrating them with the other girls. We took the whole box with mama and chicks and put it in the coop. I monitored them for awhile and observed the other girls calmly walking in and out of the coop and "visiting" the newborns. You can tell mama is in the "protect" mode, so we're going to let nature take it's course. Thanks a ton for the advice! If this works, it will save me from having to build a "chick pen". :celebrate
Take mom out then the chicks. The chicks can't get out of that.

Back
Top Bottom