Help. Our duck is breathing weird

@amanda_rimo how is your duck doing?
So we started treating her on Thursday night for gapeworm. We got the safeguard dewormer for goats. Giving it to her once a day for 5 days. Tomorrow will be the last day. She is still breathing like that. She had a good day yesterday, but tonight she seems to be breathing like that again. We aren’t sure if this is helping or not. I’ll gonna attach a video of her breathing tonight. If you turn the volume up all the way you can hear her. We are unsure when we should decide this wasn’t the problem and try treating her for the aspergillion. We have relocated their coop as well. If you have any suggestions at all we would definitely greatly appreciate it. We are worried about her. We Just keep telling her she is a fighter and she’s strong and she’s doing great…

Since today is the last day for treating for gape worm and she is still breathing like this it's time to treat for Aspergillosis I would think.
She doesn’t breathe like this 24/7 it mostly only starts when she starts foraging when we let them out of their kennel. We are deworming the other two girls too just to be safe.

I'll just leave the decision on how to treat up to ya'll. You're seeing when she is and isn't breathing like this, She really does look very uncomfortable.
I’m completely open to any suggestions at all. If you think the dewormer should have worked by now and it must not be gape worm then we will try another method. We were really convinced it was gapeworm bc she had all the symptoms. Shaking her head wildly. Gasping for air. She was secluding herself for a while but she isn’t secluding anymore. She is integrated again and following the rest. But still breathing like this. And we hate to see her like this and just want to make her better. We do have baytril on hand if that needs to be an option as well. But I think it was said that baytril can make something worse. @Jenbirdee do you have any suggestions? Do you think aspergilliosos should be the next treatment

@Miss Lydia we are going to get the stuff to treat aspergilliosis. We are going to get the Oxine AH and a portable nebulizer. I see we use 3/4 cup of oxine AH to 1 gallon of water, but how much do we use of the mixture per treatment? We are going to treat her twice a day. Also, we are going to add some to a spray bottle and mist is over all their heads and start incorporating it into the cleaning routine of their coop. If I understood everything I’ve been reading correctly does that make sense? We just need to know how much to use per treatment. We are worried about our girl and this is our last chance to help her… we don’t want to see her suffering so this is our last option.. any advice would be greatly appreciated @Jenbirdee

I haven't used it to nebulize so @Jenbirdee will have to help you with the dose and I am sure she will.

I use it daily in my coops, I have also used it as a mist point above their heads and spray it to gently over their faces.

I think this is a good decision you've tried worming and if that hasn't help at least gapeworms have been eliminated now go to the next thing it could be.
On this thread post 22 @Jenbirdee mixed 3/4 cup of Oxine ah into a gallon of water and used this in the nebulizer.

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia we are going to get the stuff to treat aspergilliosis. We are going to get the Oxine AH and a portable nebulizer. I see we use 3/4 cup of oxine AH to 1 gallon of water, but how much do we use of the mixture per treatment? We are going to treat her twice a day. Also, we are going to add some to a spray bottle and mist is over all their heads and start incorporating it into the cleaning routine of their coop. If I understood everything I’ve been reading correctly does that make sense? We just need to know how much to use per treatment. We are worried about our girl and this is our last chance to help her… we don’t want to see her suffering so this is our last option.. any advice would be greatly appreciated @Jenbirdee
use the mixture to fill your nebulizer per nebulizer instructions ( mine holds 8 ml) and run it for 30 minutes , 3 x a day (every 8 hours)
or as close to every 8 hours as you can. It was hard for me to do exactly every 8 hours and part of the times I could only do 2 treatments a day but it helped. suggested is at 4 weeks. Ive had to go longer because only can do 2 x a day

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom