Help needed, What food do I put the flock on?

Traffie Chickens

Chirping
Apr 20, 2024
Hi! some confusion here, So I have a (laying flock) that is currently on layer feed pellets,
But I am introducing some new (non laying chicks) into the flock. And I have heard that non laying chicks can’t eat layer feed. So what food do I put the flock on? Do I just put everyone, including the laying hens on starter/grower chick food? Thanks!

Hi! some confusion here, So I have a (laying flock) that is currently on layer feed pellets,
But I am introducing some new (non laying chicks) into the flock. And I have heard that non laying chicks can’t eat layer feed. So what food do I put the flock on? Do I just put everyone, including the laying hens on starter/grower chick food? Thanks!
What many people do is find an 'all flock' feed - different brands have different names but it is basically feed without the added calcium needed for layers.
Then you give calcium - in the form of oyster shell and often their own egg shells as well - on the side. The hens seem to know when they need more calcium.
Long term this is the right answer if you will have a flock with roosters because the calcium can build up and harm their organs (particularly their kidneys I believe). But it is a long term effect so don't worry about finishing up a bag or anything like that - a bit won't harm them.

What many people do is find an 'all flock' feed - different brands have different names but it is basically feed without the added calcium needed for layers.
Then you give calcium - in the form of oyster shell and often their own egg shells as well - on the side. The hens seem to know when they need more calcium.
Long term this is the right answer if you will have a flock with roosters because the calcium can build up and harm their organs (particularly their kidneys I believe). But it is a long term effect so don't worry about finishing up a bag or anything like that - a bit won't harm them.
Ok! Thanks so much for the help! I didn’t know there was such a thing as all flock feed. I will look for it. 😊

I'm not sure what country you are in or what the different feeds may be called wherever you are. There should be a table on the bag that shows nutrition levels. Things like protein, calcium, fiber, fat, etc. What you want to avoid is a feed with the Calcium around 4%. Look for a feed around 1% calcium. Then get a percentage protein level you are OK with. People feed anything from 16% protein to over 20%. Some people seem to feel you are abusing your chickens if you don't feed them a fairly high protein feed but my chickens do well on the lower protein percentage.

I'm not sure what country you are in or what the different feeds may be called wherever you are. There should be a table on the bag that shows nutrition levels. Things like protein, calcium, fiber, fat, etc. What you want to avoid is a feed with the Calcium around 4%. Look for a feed around 1% calcium. Then get a percentage protein level you are OK with. People feed anything from 16% protein to over 20%. Some people seem to feel you are abusing your chickens if you don't feed them a fairly high protein feed but my chickens do well on the lower protein percentage.
Is this good? This is what we bought. It’s 1% calcium.
IMG_1072.jpeg

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min)20.00%
Lysine (min)0.60%
Methionine (min)0.25%
Crude Fat (min)2.50%
Crude Fiber (max)7.00%
Calcium (Ca) (min)0.60%
Calcium (Ca) (max)1.00%
Phosphorus (P) (min)0.45%
Salt (NaCL) (min)0.20%
Salt (NaCL) (max)0.70%
Sodium (Na) (max)0.55%

Looks good to me. Just serve oyster shell on the side for any chickens that are laying eggs.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min)20.00%
Lysine (min)0.60%
Methionine (min)0.25%
Crude Fat (min)2.50%
Crude Fiber (max)7.00%
Calcium (Ca) (min)0.60%
Calcium (Ca) (max)1.00%
Phosphorus (P) (min)0.45%
Salt (NaCL) (min)0.20%
Salt (NaCL) (max)0.70%
Sodium (Na) (max)0.55%

Looks good to me. Just serve oyster shell on the side for any chickens that are laying eggs.
Ok great! Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom