HELP My chickens are dying!

Rikkipedia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 6, 2012
Portland, OR
On Tuesday I went to let the chickens out and found one of my 3 month old chicks dead on the floor of the coop. There was a blue ting around it's eyes, but no other weird signs of illness. I chalked it up to it maybe being a weak chick.

But then, Wednesday I found one of my bantams dead in the coop in the afternoon, around 4pm. It was alive and well earlier that day when I'd come home from work at 2pm. It was very shocking.

There were a lot of mites on the dead hen and her comb was pale, but still red at the edges. Nothing else seemed weird.

I dusted the rest of the chickens with DE, put electrolytes in their water and gave them a watermelon to make sure they're getting enough water (it's been really hot and dry here in Portland, OR).

No one showed any signs of being sick yesterday, but this morning another one of my 3 month old chicks is acting lethargic and uninterested in eating or drinking. I'm not seeing any mites. I've separated it from the rest of the flock and given it food and water with cider vinegar.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

I'm sorry to hear that.
sad.png

Could it be coccidia or worms? Is it especially hot or humid out? Are they showing any signs of respiratory problems?

The chick perked up this afternoon and everything seems to be going ok. So false alarm, but it was scary since I'd already had 2 chickens die.

It has been very hot and dry here in Portland.

Back
Top Bottom