Help me pin down the color.

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
Not sure on this color. I've made an assumption but have been told otherwise so looking for other options. Only thing I'm sure of is he's blue and silver or silver/gold.

1000004451.jpg

1000004458.jpg

1000004454.jpg

1000004448.jpg

I think he's silver (S/S) with a reddening gene like mahogany or autosomal red, not gold/silver split (S/s+), as those tend to have more of a yellowish color in the hackles and saddles.

As for whether or not he's blue, I genuinely can't tell if I'm seeing blue-tinged feathers or if it's just the lighting. 🤔 What do his wing feathers look like when you open them up? That's usually where I have the easiest time telling blue from black on my silkied Cochin bantams, anyway.

I think he's silver (S/S) with a reddening gene like mahogany or autosomal red, not gold/silver split (S/s+), as those tend to have more of a yellowish color in the hackles and saddles.

As for whether or not he's blue, I genuinely can't tell if I'm seeing blue-tinged feathers or if it's just the lighting. 🤔 What do his wing feathers look like when you open them up? That's usually where I have the easiest time telling blue from black on my silkied Cochin bantams, anyway.
His hackles and saddles are a creamy yellow not a pure white/silver like my silver Phoenix's are.

Pics in warm lighting.
1000004434.jpg

1000004431.jpg

Not him but is color is very similar to this...
1000004408.jpg

Last edited:
His hackles and saddles are a creamy yellow not a pure white/silver like my silver Phoenix's are.

Pics in warm lighting.
View attachment 3718587
View attachment 3718588

Not him but is color is very similar to this...
View attachment 3718591

...Yeah, he might just be S/s+ 🤔 Looking at some of the S/s+ males I've taken pictures of in show, he does look a lot more like them than I remembered. I think it's more common with Golden Phoenixes to be a bit more yellow than that, so that's what I was thinking of in my initial post. These are Blue Golden Duckwing males, for example:

rosecomb bantam, blue golden duckwing male.jpg
OEGB, blue golden duckwing male.jpg

It's slate. I'm for sure he's blue.

Ah, my bad, I thought you weren't sure if he was blue or not!

EDIT: You'll have to forgive me my denseness this morning.
facepalm head shake.gif
Never try to 'genetics' before you wake up fully.

Blue has a slight dilution effect on gold pigment as well. That's why your bird and the Blue Golden Duckwings in the pictures I attached above are paler than Golden Phoenixes, who are genetically black golden duckwing. Your male is S/s+.

Last edited:
...Yeah, he might just be S/s+ 🤔 Looking at some of the S/s+ males I've taken pictures of in show, he does look a lot more like them than I remembered. I think it's more common with Golden Phoenixes to be a bit more yellow than that, so that's what I was thinking of in my initial post. These are Blue Golden Duckwing males, for example:

View attachment 3718638View attachment 3718637

Ah, my bad, I thought you weren't sure if he was blue or not!

EDIT: You'll have to forgive me my denseness this morning. View attachment 3718658 Never try to 'genetics' before you wake up fully.

Blue has a slight dilution effect on gold pigment as well. That's why your bird and the Blue Golden Duckwings in the pictures I attached above are paler than Golden Phoenixes, who are genetically black golden duckwing. Your male is S/s+.
Thank you for your insight. These are the things I believed him to be.

Only other thing I thought was cream because golden duckwing in Phoenixs seam to have this gene. This was a thought from the ask anything thread because golden and silver in Phoenixs can be told apart as chicks.

Those pictures look just like his colors! Now to set up a breeding plan to get that color on to my Ameraucanas, in large fowl.

I'm starting with bantams first tho. Have some silver bantam Ameraucana hatching eggs coming in.

Thank you for your insight. These are the things I believed him to be.

Only other thing I thought was cream because golden duckwing in Phoenixs seam to have this gene. This was a thought from the ask anything thread because golden and silver in Phoenixs can be told apart as chicks.

Those pictures look just like his colors! Now to set up a breeding plan to get that color on to my Ameraucanas, in large fowl.

I'm starting with bantams first tho. Have some silver bantam Ameraucana hatching eggs coming in.

I do remember that conversation. He looks the part of the other males that are S/s+ Bl/bl+ so I would assume that is what he is without test crossing. I'm not sure how you'd determine the difference short of just crossing him to the silver duckwing females and seeing how the offspring turn out. 🤔 Di dominant dilute seems to dilute shank color as well, so I don't think that's a possibility for him with his willow shanks, but I could be mistaken on that. If he's got the recessive gold inhibitor ig, crossing him to silver duckwing would make golden (S/s+) males and gold (s+/-) females all carrying ig. If he's truly golden S/s+ without a cream diluter, then you'd get golden (S/s+) and silver (S/S) male offspring and gold (s+/-) and silver (S/-) female offspring from that cross.

The only other potential issue is I believe wheaten and duckwing males are identical in appearance, so that could throw a bit of a wrench into your breeding plan. Do you know what his chick down looked like or did you get him as an adult?

Definitely keep us posted on how his offspring turn out! :pop

Back
Top Bottom