Help me create a low protein feed for broilers

Yes, there are BIG problems with these studies. They weren't conducted here in the US, and have the appearance of a study designed to solicit one answer, which was changed mid stream due to unexpected factors, and then data mined thereafter to provide additional (brief) papers. Which were presented at conference. Which helps explain the lack of reproduceability.

In my world, when a study can be datamined to produce unexpected results or "unintended" information, a new study is designed, based on the purported incidental findings of the old, to test that hypothesis. and data is provided which allows a researcher to duplicate the study if desired - those factors aren't present here.

Additionally, and quite different from our own experience here in the US, they appear to be using Cobb 300 Broilers in an effort to make more Cobb 300 directly, rather than relying on dedicated parent and grandparent lines to produce chicks for eventual table. A difference between the practice here, and the practice in the Netherlands, where these studies were conducted as part of the Wageningen University, and later presented at conference in the Czech Republic. Some of these papers were published while Rick Van Emous was getting his PhD in Animal Production, while a senior researcher at the University. Dr Kwakkel is an Associate Professor and supervisor of PhD students in Animal Nutrition. Dr van Krimpen is also a professor at WU in the Chicken/Pig Nutrition programs.

Note that I am **NOT** saying the study conclusions are wrong - only that the lack of expected design parameters, data on structure, etc preventing reproduceability make them less than fully reliable. Rigorous peer review (rarely happens anymore, I know) would likely reject these for publication in the better journals.

Yes, there are BIG problems with these studies. They weren't conducted here in the US, and have the appearance of a study designed to solicit one answer, which was changed mid stream due to unexpected factors, and then data mined thereafter to provide additional (brief) papers. Which were presented at conference. Which helps explain the lack of reproduceability.

publication in the better journals.

Thanks for the reply, I will try to use more fiber like Oats on the lowest protein feed I can find and restrict the feed, these birds gain out of the blue with even the most basic of diets.

I have access to Wheat bran, Rice Bran and Oats. I only deal with small numbers anyways.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom