Help me create a low protein feed for broilers

nicalandia

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Stuck In a Dream
My Coop
My Coop
I just processed my main rooster due to being sterile but his younger brother is taking his place, both have impressive body structure that lend themselves for crossing with CornishX or Colored broilers, in the past I have given them layers feed(to the broilers) and once per day for two hours but they still gain weight as if they were pulling grams from thin air, the layers feed is 16% protein by weight(compared to 20% of broiler feed) so I am thinking on making my own feed that is lower in protein, like crushed corn, Wheat, rice, Sorghum, that mix should not exceed 9% protein by weight. but I want to dilute it even more so I was thinking of using Oats and Cornstarch.

Beside free ranging(I don't have enough space to do that) has any of you tried to make your own low protein feed for broilers?

Before someone recommends me, this isn't something I can help with, except to express my concern botht hat the proposed diet (and targets) are way to low in protein, and likely too high in fats and carbs, and thus won't result in healthy, weight-restricted breeders.

You may want to do more reading on restricted feed design and methods for CornishX breeding lines. I've bumped into some research, but didn't save any of it, sorry.

You may want to do more reading on restricted feed design and methods for CornishX breeding lines. I've bumped into some research, but didn't save any of it, sorry.
I've been reading about broiler breeder diets for quite a few years now, but never implemented a mixture beside a restricted layers feed that makes them gain regardless

In the Broiler breeder management guidelines they list 6% to 8% protein level feed and they still restrict their feed to about 100 grams per day and they are always hungry so I was thinking on making a very diluted(the diluent that has close to 0 carb and close to 0 protein is where I am having a hard time finding) so they are full and don't feel that much hunger during the day.

I just found this, thanks
https://www.poultryworld.net/Nutrit...esults-in-more-broiler-breeder-eggs-1746379W/

Last edited:
I found the study your article links to.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...emales/link/560bb01408ae7fa7b886ebba/download

Unfortunately, they don't indicate what the Crude Protein High and Crude Protein Low levels were. Reading between the lines, it appears the low protein diet had 10% less crude protein than the high protein diet - the difference (roughly) between an 18% protein diet and a 20% protein diet. Looks like the same study was used to generate multiple brief papers - I've not seen the actual protein levels in the other papers I've skimmed, either

I found the study your article links to.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...emales/link/560bb01408ae7fa7b886ebba/download

Unfortunately, they don't indicate what the Crude Protein High and Crude Protein Low levels were. Reading between the lines, it appears the low protein diet had 10% less crude protein than the high protein diet - the difference (roughly) between an 18% protein diet and a 20% protein diet. Looks like the same study was used to generate multiple brief papers - I've not seen the actual protein levels in the other papers I've skimmed, either
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I was going to recommend U_Stormcrow :)

What I did when I was raising some broiler breeders was feed them in restricted amounts half pellets and half wild bird seed, usually sprouted. That seemed to keep them from getting too tubby.

Here are the others -
https://www.researchgate.net/public...nd_peak_production_in_broiler_breeder_females

https://www.researchgate.net/public...uctive_performance_in_broiler_breeder_females

Here;s the diet, from the 2013 study:

One is 22% crude protein, the other 20% crude protein.
1636580887559.png

I just processed my main rooster due to being sterile but his younger brother is taking his place, both have impressive body structure that lend themselves for crossing with CornishX or Colored broilers, in the past I have given them layers feed(to the broilers) and once per day for two hours but they still gain weight as if they were pulling grams from thin air, the layers feed is 16% protein by weight(compared to 20% of broiler feed) so I am thinking on making my own feed that is lower in protein, like crushed corn, Wheat, rice, Sorghum, that mix should not exceed 9% protein by weight. but I want to dilute it even more so I was thinking of using Oats and Cornstarch.

Beside free ranging(I don't have enough space to do that) has any of you tried to make your own low protein feed for broilers?

I would try two simple things first:

a. Use the same feed, but in a smaller amount. Maybe make it wet (more bulk to slow their eating), and only offer it for 1/2 hour.

b. If you still want lower protein, use some of the current feed and some corn. Corn is cheap and low in protein. But it does have plenty of calories, so you would still have to limit the amount of feed they are allowed to eat.

One is 22% crude protein, the other 20% crude protein.
View attachment 2894326
Those are for "Broilers" I don't see the mention of the parents or grand parents of the broilers.

it should look something like this for breeders..

1636583341744.png

Specifically I am looking for females as the male line would be my rustic Aseel type roosters
1636583740116.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom