Help me change the law in Live Oak, TX

nerosane

Hatching
Aug 7, 2021
Hello everyone,

I recently moved to Live Oak, TX and found out today chickens are not allowed in city limits. I am wondering if anyone else lives here and if so would you join me in making a change to allow chickens? I am doing research now on how to make a new ordinance to consider along with creating a packet to serve why chickens are great to have. If anyone has experience in doing this, please let me know how to be successful. The next council meeting is coming up in my city which is where I plan to go to pitch my idea on making a change. It would help my cause if I'm not alone.

So far I have tried Nextdoor app and have not received any notice to my post yet. I am trying to reach out to many places to get others to join me and to acquire signatures.

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to Live Oak, TX and found out today chickens are not allowed in city limits. I am wondering if anyone else lives here and if so would you join me in making a change to allow chickens? I am doing research now on how to make a new ordinance to consider along with creating a packet to serve why chickens are great to have. If anyone has experience in doing this, please let me know how to be successful. The next council meeting is coming up in my city which is where I plan to go to pitch my idea on making a change. It would help my cause if I'm not alone.

So far I have tried Nextdoor app and have not received any notice to my post yet. I am trying to reach out to many places to get others to join me and to acquire signatures.
I am glad to see your resolve, that is half the battle. When I changed the law in my home township, I posted a poll on the Nextdoor app like this. Got great response

Attachments

• Backyard Poultry Poll.JPG
    Backyard Poultry Poll.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 22
Hello everyone,

I live in Live Oak & my wife & I also want to be able to own chickens like San Antonio & most other cities around us!

Hello everyone,

I will sign your petition

Here are some points we went over when organizing and pitching the idea to council for a bylaw change:

- food security and rise in costs, laying hens offer food
- connection to food and animal husbandry is important
- our area of the province is historically agriculture, so encouraging that to continue
- and we cited successful pilot programs in other cities that were successful and had data

Our bylaw allows up to 6 hens in urban areas, and more in less urban areas. We have to register our flock with the province as small flock raisers and adhere to any rules re bird flu. Our urban birds must have a fully fenced area and secure run, as well as appropriate sized coop.

Hope that helps!

Any news whether we can own chickens in Live Oak, Texas? I live in Live Oak and with the increasing prices on eggs has me wanting to get chickens and start raising them.

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting chickens for 20 years now. If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to let me know! Live Oak needs to allow us to have chickens with the price of eggs the way they are now!

Back
Top Bottom