Help! Is this coryza or an infection due to injury?

even_chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
I found her lethargic 8/17 with her eye closes and swollen, head cocked to the side and separated from the flock. I put her in quarantine and began treating with saline solution. Little to no improvement. Began treating with terramycin directly in eye + saline why removing pus 2x daily. She showed improvement and within 2 days regained energy. Her eye began to open but still white and shows pus. She is eating and drinking but hasn't laid since.

Attachments

• chicken eye1.png
    chicken eye1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • Chicken eye.png
    Chicken eye.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
It only matters as far as being contagious if it's infectious coryza. An injury and coryza would still be treated the same.

The most critical thing is to remove the pus from the eye. Like this.

The flush well with saline and put terramycin antibiotic eye ointment in it twice a day.
Good to know that regardless I've been treating correctly. I assume I'm going to have to remove the white from her eye with tweezers if possible? There really isn't any pus etc. to push out like I've seen in the Coryza videos (obviously these are most likely extreme cases. Appreciate the help as it's my first time dealing with this!

Does she have a bad odor from her face? It is hard to tell one respiratory disease from another, versus an infection, injury, or a foreign body in the eye. Usually with a disease there will be crusty drainage from the eye, nostril, and with coryza, it may really stink. They can lose the eye if the pus is not remove. Can you take her to a vet? Coryza is best treated with a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) may be treated with Tylosin or oxytetracyclines. An infection from something getting into the eye or a peck, might be better treated with Baytril or the sulfa.

The film covering the eye is pus, meaning infection. By removing the pus, you are removing most of the bacteria and that will encourage more rapid healing.

Do not use anything sharp and hard to remove the pus. Use cotton balls dipped in saline eye wash and gently wipe the pus out of the eye after exerting slight pressure on the surrounding tissue as the video shows.

You are not alone in being hesitant to remove the pus. But you need to realize that the eye cannot heal unless the pus is removed.

Does she have a bad odor from her face? It is hard to tell one respiratory disease from another, versus an infection, injury, or a foreign body in the eye. Usually with a disease there will be crusty drainage from the eye, nostril, and with coryza, it may really stink. They can lose the eye if the pus is not remove. Can you take her to a vet? Coryza is best treated with a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine or SMZ-TMP. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) may be treated with Tylosin or oxytetracyclines. An infection from something getting into the eye or a peck, might be better treated with Baytril or the sulfa.
Unfortunately, my vet nor the majority around here treat avian/chickens. The lack of odor is the one key element that is leading me to believe it's not coryza. I'll work on getting some Baytril or sulfa/ Thanks for the advice!

It could be MG. Is there nasal drainage, any sneeze, or rattles? I would get some Tylan 50 injectable from a feed store and give it orally 3 times a day. Or order some Tylosin powder for the water.
Just ordered some tylan to pick up from the feed store. Hopefully that helps.

The film covering the eye is pus, meaning infection. By removing the pus, you are removing most of the bacteria and that will encourage more rapid healing.

Do not use anything sharp and hard to remove the pus. Use cotton balls dipped in saline eye wash and gently wipe the pus out of the eye after exerting slight pressure on the surrounding tissue as the video shows.

You are not alone in being hesitant to remove the pus. But you need to realize that the eye cannot heal unless the pus is removed.
Good news! After rinsing repeatedly with saline I was able to remove the pus, much like pulling off a bandaid. Not gonna lie it was easier said then done...

Back
Top Bottom