Help introducing a young hen to my flock?

UrbanBarnCat

Chirping
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone! So, I have 2 hens and a rooster that I got back in April as chicks, so they're about 18-20 weeks old, a few weeks ago I went to a local hatchery and got 2 more pullets that were about 2 or 3 months old so I could have 4 laying hens but they both ended up being really sick and 1 of them passed away from coccidiosis shortly after getting them and the other little pullet has been fighting for her life. We got her clean from cocci and recently dewormed her so she has a clean bill of health now!
My only concern is that since she's been separated for being sick, we never got another bird after the first one died bc I was afraid of spreading the sickness, I'm wondering what the best route would be to introduce her to the flock.
Right now I have her inside most of the day while I'm at work alone and then as soon as I get home I let out the big girls and put the little one in the outside run of the coop so everyone can see each other. I've let them interact a few times but I'm just so afraid of the big chickens being mean to her. She's still about half the size of the big chickens but a lot bigger than a chick. Should I just keep slowly trying to introduce them or would I be better off getting a younger pullet to keep her company until they're both big enough to go into the big coop? Any suggestions? This is my first flock and the first 3 chickens were so easy, I got them all together and they had a sorta natural pecking order and now after all this sick business I'm not sure if I should try and put them all together right now or if my sick pullet still needs time before meeting the big chickens? Any help or advice would be appreciated!!

I'd be tempted to get a friend for your new girl first. The other group is probably pretty established and she will definitely need a friend. See if you can find one about the same age, and keep them together for a week before you put them in with the others. That way, even if they are bullied, they will still have each other.

Thank you so much for this info!!! After talking it out with my roommates we were still really unsure about getting getting another chicken. I think I'm going to try and introduce her using these methods.
I'll probably keep them seperated for a few more days then introduce her to Melody my Amerucana who seems to be the nicest to her, she never really tries to peck at Betty the times I've kinda let them be close to each other without a barrier. Then slowly integrate her in the coop with a crate and see how that goes and hopefully I will have a happy flock soon!
Also, my older birds are a barred rock, an amerucana, and Rhode Island Red rooster and Betty is a Rhode Island Red pullet. Since she's the same breed as my rooster will that help with integrating them? Or does that even matter at all?

Also, my older birds are a barred rock, an amerucana, and Rhode Island Red rooster and Betty is a Rhode Island Red pullet. Since she's the same breed as my rooster will that help with integrating them? Or does that even matter at all?
No, breed doesn't matter, it's all about territory.

Your older birds are the 18-20 week olds?
So, pullets and cockerel(not hens and rooster until 1 year old).
Cockerels that age can be really aggressive as they are sexually mature younger(~4mos) than the pullets(~6mos), have you seen any of that yet?
You might seriously consider getting rid of the male if he is too aggressive with so few females.....time will tell with that.

Here's some tips that may help:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Thanks for the info!
Yeah, we always knew he would have to be rehomed if he got too unruly, but he's not really aggressive yet and the ladies still dominate over him so I'm hoping he doesn't become to aggressive!
It's so hard to imagine! He still eats out of the palm of my hand! :(

It's so hard to imagine! He still eats out of the palm of my hand!
Ya just never know until you know, he may be just fine.
Is he crowing yet?
Hand feeding is fine,
but make him get out of your way,
and no snuggling. :D
Best to have a place to isolate him ready to go,
'cause if it does get ugly it often happens at the speed of sound.

He's still not crowing, he does like a little honk noise right now lol
So, I try and pick him up whenever I can because my idea was it would get him used to people but should I stop doing that? I just hold him and tell him I'm in charge mostly lol

Back
Top Bottom