Help identifying breed on adult duck

sheenersb

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
Utah
A friend recently took a few ducks in from some horse stalls and put them on his farm property. One female was being bred by a male pekin, rather aggressively as one can assume, and she barely got away. My friend found her tucked in tumbleweeds with crows around her trying to peck at her and pecking her feathers out. He managed to save her and she’s been in the safety of a garage for a few days. I’ll be picking her up tomorrow and introducing her to my flock. I have no info on her, age, breed, if she is even laying eggs, etc.

This is the only pic I have of her now, with her head feathers plucked. Can anyone help identify what breed she might be?

(Obviously as soon as I get her, she’ll have access to adequate water and great food, she’ll be able to forage safely on my property with my calm hens.)

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpeg
    IMG_0259.jpeg
    703.6 KB · Views: 35
Oh my, poor baby! What’s your friend’s sex ratio?? That’s a lot of missing feathers for one bad breeding (unless that’s the crow’s doing).

She’s a lovely Dark Campbell, and she’ll be even lovelier once those feathers grow back!

Oh my, poor baby! What’s your friend’s sex ratio?? That’s a lot of missing feathers for one bad breeding (unless that’s the crow’s doing).

She’s a lovely Dark Campbell, and she’ll be even lovelier once those feathers grow back!
Thank you so much for helping me identify! We initially wanted some Campbell’s but after watching videos we thought they might be too skittish for us. I suppose now we’ll have one!

My friend said when he found her in the tumbleweeds the crows were pulling feathers off of her, and she also has a 3” circle on her back that’s missing feathers but we can’t see it in the photo.

There is a bonded pekin hen and drake on the pond, that my friend just got a few weeks ago from someone who was caring for them after they had been abandoned. So the Pekins and this little beauty all came from the same person in the end but now I doubt they were kept together. I can imagine the pekin was much larger than this girl and the mating was also quite harmful. I’m sure some of the feathers missing are from the drake and the crows.

I agree with the campbell part. Those pekin males can do a number on the smaller females. I had one that constantly bred the smaller females, and not only pulled the feathers out, but caused them to be paralyzed temporarily. He was super sweet just too big and intent on doing his job very well. I luckily have a friend who raises just pekins and she didnt have a male, so he is now living his best life with 20 female pekins and no concerns of being too big.

I picked Miss Henrietta up today and brought her home. She is TEENY. She might only be a pound or two, max. Half the size of my welsh harlequins, maybe even smaller.

I was told she is a year old, but my goodness she is so small. I’m wondering if she just didn’t get enough food in her first year or if she just happens to be super little from genetics? Possibly another breed?

My only female Cayuga, Charolette, came running to check her out when I brought her home. I was worried initially but Char just immediately took her in. Henrietta ran after my 6 Welshies as fast as she could with her bill open, trying to hiss. After an hour or so of hanging out next to the coop where my only drake was locked in, she finally merged with the flock and is already Char’s little bestie.

And my fav duck, my only drake… is sadly in the freezer now. He’s been excessively mating our girls and since I have them for egg production, I just couldn’t justify keeping him around any longer. He was my fav but also has been aggressive with me and my dog lately nipping at my heels each time I turn away from him, even just when feeding him. And knowing this little girl was coming in, the timing just worked out. I’m bummed, but it comes with the territory.

I picked Miss Henrietta up today and brought her home. She is TEENY. She might only be a pound or two, max. Half the size of my welsh harlequins, maybe even smaller.

I was told she is a year old, but my goodness she is so small. I’m wondering if she just didn’t get enough food in her first year or if she just happens to be super little from genetics? Possibly another breed?
I had a duck like that who didn’t get enough food her first year; very tiny and half the weight she should’ve been.. Certainly possible. I can’t think of another breed she could be, unless she’s wild / bantam.
My only female Cayuga, Charolette, came running to check her out when I brought her home. I was worried initially but Char just immediately took her in. Henrietta ran after my 6 Welshies as fast as she could with her bill open, trying to hiss. After an hour or so of hanging out next to the coop where my only drake was locked in, she finally merged with the flock and is already Char’s little bestie.
This is great to hear :)

I had a duck like that who didn’t get enough food her first year; very tiny and half the weight she should’ve been.. Certainly possible. I can’t think of another breed she could be, unless she’s wild / bantam.

This is great to hear :)
I appreciate all of the info you’ve shared. She certainly didn’t get enough food or nutrition her first year, she is just teeny! But her legs are normal height and size, so she reminds me of a turkey when she walks. Lots of waddles!

My Cayuga girl Charolette has quite literally taken her under her wing and I think she believes this is her baby. It’s really fun to watch them together and to see this new girl mesh into the flock.

And thankfully she already has some head feathers coming back in! Can’t wait to see her bald spots fill in.

Back
Top Bottom