Help! I have 4 brooding hens and no where to put them.

chicken_nugget

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2019
Tennessee
  • First of all, NONE of my chickens have ever slept in their $200 handmade coop me and my dad made.
  • When they were in the run, they'd perched OUTSIDE at night on a piece of wood that we ran through the fence. :hmm
  • I eventually opened the gate, and they stopped going in. Fine...so they're all scattered. One hen is in the barn with the goats. Two of them are side by side ( a silkie and an easter egger). and one is by herself on some hay....in the barn.
Ok so..here's my question..
--Can I clean out the 7x7x14 stall we already have and put all hens and chicks in there after they have all hatched?? Set up a community food and water station?:D
We have fresh hay. Chicken wire already set up.
I have been reading and reading and reading all over the internet as best I can. I want to do the best by these birds. I sure do love them.

That can work.
However, can living in a stall prevent raccoons or weasels from invading the broody space?
Chicken wire won't keep those predators out.
Chickens won't reliably sleep in a coop they haven't been confined to 24/7 for at least 4 or 5 days.
If they have, if ventilation isn't adequate, they will probably still choose to sleep elsewhere.

That can work.
However, can living in a stall prevent raccoons or weasels from invading the broody space?
Chicken wire won't keep those predators out.
Chickens won't reliably sleep in a coop they haven't been confined to 24/7 for at least 4 or 5 days.
If they have, if ventilation isn't adequate, they will probably still choose to sleep elsewhere.

Ah! So i should have locked them up first LOL
The barn stall is mostly built with wooden walls with chicken wire in other areas up to the ceiling but is not completely closed in. That's what worries me. Should I move her and the chicks inside the garage in a large tub? I'm not sure what my other options are. Plus I have three other hens! I just dont know where to put them to keep them safe.

If coop was made well, with enough ventilation, put them in there and lock them in for a few days, with food and water.

Even though they’ve been out so long, it’s not too late to “train” them? (Born in March 2018) They’re free range. Would they learn to go in on their own?

Agree with the above. When our buffs went broody a little younger than expected last year we just picked up the laying boxes they were sitting in (we have them sitting around the barn for the ladies to use because they're free range as well) and moved them to the coop with one fell swoop and they all did fine. One was slightly agitated the first day but after that they relaxed and brooded several healthy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom