HELP! How do you get motor oil out of clothes and a stuffed animal?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I made a huge mistake this morning and got motor oil on one of our BYC mascots (if you want the story you can go to that thread and read about it).

Has anyone ever had any luck getting used motor oil out of a stuffed animal? I tried Oxyclean and it did nothing.

I am feeling so awful for letting this happen, it was all my fault.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I used to work at a dry cleaners, and their 'great' secret to getting stains out was very simple. You get a spray bottle and set it on 'stream'. Then, you mix 2 parts laundry detergent to one part water in the bottle. You spray the area that's stained very well, then, with a stiff brush or a butter knife (I prefer the knife, it gets the stain better) you scrub the detergent into the stain. Soap takes oil off, but the problem is getting the soap into the fabric fibers. It might take a few tries, but this has ALWAYS worked for me! Blood, oil - cooking and motor - grass stains, etc.

DO NOT dry the item in between stain treatments. If you dry the clothing or whatever it will lock the stain in, making it very difficult or impossible to re-treat. Let the item air dry, check the stain to see if it came out, and if not re-treat and repeat the whole process. Good luck!

Most stuffed animals I've worked with are color fast, but you may want to test a hidden area first unless you already know if it's color fast. I'm assuming that if you used oxyclean on it the toy will be fine, but just to make sure!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom