Help! Hen With Torn Muscle!

Friendly_Lurker

Free Ranging
Jan 27, 2020
Kansas
Today I noticed that my six month old small mixed breed hen, Nugget, was limping heavily and not putting weight on her left leg. I caught her, felt her leg and it’s not broken, there might be a torn muscle. Should I wrap her up, or keep her inside? I have VetWrap and gauze. I don’t know how this happened, there haven’t been any predators recently. Any advice would be great!

Sometimes a leg can be dislocated also. I would separate her from any others, keep her warm and comfortable, and limit her movement for now. Look up how to make a temporary sling to support a chicken in an upright position until more replies come in. She may not need it but at least it gives you something to do and prepare for if she does.
If it's truly torn, and there are no external injuries, I'm not sure wrapping would do much at this point since you may not be sure that's what is wrong. Sometimes a hard jump down from somewhere can cause injuries, sprains, and the like.

Sometimes a leg can be dislocated also. I would separate her from any others, keep her warm and comfortable, and limit her movement for now. Look up how to make a temporary sling to support a chicken in an upright position until more replies come in. She may not need it but at least it gives you something to do and prepare for if she does.
If it's truly torn, and there are no external injuries, I'm not sure wrapping would do much at this point since you may not be sure that's what is wrong. Sometimes a hard jump down from somewhere can cause injuries, sprains, and the like.
I think I would feel it if her leg were dislocated, but I’m not an expert.

Back
Top Bottom