HELP! Goat got into Chicken Grower/finisher and possibly in labor OR Bloat?

Icedangel11

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
I'm not sure how much my goat ate of it, but she really likes that grower finisher. I took it away and locked it in the house today because she'd happily eat the whole bag. It was the Dumor Grower/finished feed.

Today she's laying down more than often (Just today) and burping more often (since she started her secret 'snack'). However she's also heavily pregnant and the ligaments in her tail says she's going to have her babies VERY soon. If not tonight.

I felt her belly. Left side is squishy, right side is VERY firm. I believe I feel the kids' leg against her side as it's dropping down. Bottom of her belly is VERY tight, udders filled up substantially. She's VERY skittish, more so than normal. When I pushed on her left side she burped a couple of times. She doesn't seem in distress otherwise.

Will she be okay? Does she have bloat, or is she just showing signs of labor? If I sit in the shed with her (off to the side) will she put off having her baby because I'm in there? she's in with a second goat, should I move the second goat away from her? If I go in should I talk? Or be quiet and try to hide? Should I offer her something to eat?

I've never witnessed a goat birth before, though I have seen a horse do it! I thought she still had four months to go! The guy I bought her from had a 'whole' herd (billies, nannies, and kids all in one pen) and said she kidded in December and wouldn't be more than 1 month along since she just weaned her kid last month. She's a Nigerian Dwarf Doe.

Here's some pictures of her. Just because she's cute. These were taken a week ago.

Last edited:
Every couple of minutes she stops, has a small jolt (contraction?) and then goes back to normal.

It was really cold, so I moved her into my bathroom with a BUNCH of puppy pads on the ground. No sign of a water sack, but she was very gurgly in the belly when I moved her.

I'm not an expert on goats by any means but grew up with them. I personally don't think that you have anything to worry about with the chicken feed. I think at worst she may have an upset stomach and maybe have some diarrhea due to the sudden switch it food it's never had. They have iron guts. You can be a comfort if you want to for her. Lay he bread on your lap and stroke her neck. Don't have to say anything. Your actions should be quiet and move slow. I had to cut out twins before to a great mother. It was an emergency and I couldn't save her. Other than that, goat birth is pretty great.

Chicken feed can kill a goat. If she is having clumpy or runny poop then she needs CD Antitoxin, not to be confused for CDT, they are different. This is something that must be ordered. In a pinch you can use activated charcoal from the drug sore it is OTC. This is typically the treatment given when a goat gets into chicken feed. This has saved my goat. You also should give a B complex shot anytime your goat is off and probiotics. Also if you are worried about bloat then a vegetable and baking soda ball will help with that but I suspect she is sick due to the chicken feed. I do not know if CD Antitoxin or activated charcoal is safe for pregnant goats so you may have to do a search on that. I hope she is ok. Sorry I did not see this thread sooner. Also make sure she is drinking, dehydration will kill her fast. You can tempt her by using electrolytes for goats. I have used warm water and mollases in a pinch. Please keep us informed on how she is doing.

Last edited:
The person you bought her from is either very ignorant or lying, because they can be come pregnant right after giving birth, when they come into heat. And yes, they can come into heat quite quickly while kids are being nursed. If she was running with a buck the entire time, it is possible she could have been bred anytime between her giving birth and you buying her. So her due date might be MUCH sooner than you anticipated.

As for the feed she got into, how is she doing now? How much did she actually eat? To be safe, don't give her any grain or whatever, just hay and clean, fresh water. If she is burping (a great thing if bloat is suspected) and moving around, not kicking or biting at her belly, then I don't think she managed to give herself bloat. Very very lucky, so I'd be very careful to not let her get into feed again. I've had a goat doe due to frothy boat, and it is was a terrible experience, even with prompt veterinary intervention.

She would only need CD antitoxin if entertoxemia was suspected. Clumpy or loose feces are only just one sign and not enough to warrant that as a diagnosis. If she is acting lethargic, kicking at her belly, and was unwilling or unable to stand (an emergency), then it would be a worry.

That said, has she or the other goat you ha ve ever been vaccinated with a CDT vaccine (a vaccine is a TOXOID it will say so on the bottle)? If you aren't sure, then I'd recommend getting her vaccinated promptly it will not hurt her. The vaccine is available at most feed stores. You'll need sterile needles and syringes (3cc syringes and 20 gauge 1/2 inch needles), obviously. Give the first dose, then give a second dose three weeks later.

I think he was ignorant. She was running with two billys, so it really wouldn't surprise me that she was. I was guessing a month after kidding.

But her poop is normal, and her belly isn't hard on the left side. She right side (where the kids are, right?) has had the firmness drop to down below over night.

She still gurgles and burps when she walks. I think the stuff she did get into just made her gassy, so I don't think it's bloat. I'm not sure exactly how much she ate, though. How long after eating it would it show up?

I think he was ignorant. She was running with two billys, so it really wouldn't surprise me that she was. I was guessing a month after kidding.

But her poop is normal, and her belly isn't hard on the left side. She right side (where the kids are, right?) has had the firmness drop to down below over night.

She still gurgles and burps when she walks. I think the stuff she did get into just made her gassy, so I don't think it's bloat. I'm not sure exactly how much she ate, though. How long after eating it would it show up?

Symptoms of bloat set in quite fast, actually. Within a couple of hours after the overeating episode (or whatever the cause, like a blockage in the throat (like choke in a horse) can prevent them from burping up excess gas, also leading to bloat). So if she is fine now, she'll stay fine! Especially if she is happily gurgling and bupring away, which indicates normal rumen function. A goat with bloat often cannot burp without help (baking soda drenching, rumen massage, gasX, etc). Speaking of baking soda and gasX, I would highly recommend you add that to your goat medicine cabinet, if you don't already have it! GasX is safe for goats and has saved their lives when it comes to an actual case of bloat. And it is easy to acquire, but still good to have on hand. The active ingredient is Simethicone if you want to find a generic version.

Yep, kids are on the right side. Left side is the rumen. You can often feel the kids if you palpate the abdomen right in front of the udder, too. When I feel for kids, I have one hand on the right side and my other under the goat before the udder.

I have some GasX! I didn't know it'd be useful! That's great to hear!

So, would this be the 'hallowing out' stage? Where the babies have been dropping into position for delivery? right now she's walking around in the pasture, nibbling on gas. I had HOPED the little 'contractions' I thought I seen last night meant they'd be here by now. I think moving her into my bathroom spooked her. But it was too cold in the barn for the babies.

I noticed her tail ligaments had gone mushy around noon-ish last night. I've read that means within 24 hours she'll kid. So will I have goat babies by noon?

And can you tell how many babies are in there by looking at her? I'm hoping for triplets. A Boy and two girls. A Friend of mine wants a new billy for his flock and I want two more little milkers for mine! (Hopefully tamer, because Tea herself isn't too fond of the touchy feely stuff. )

Also, I have a mix goat treat that I feed them from time to time. I thought it'd be good for them, but if chicken feed is bad I don't want to accidentally make them sick. It's 5 gallons of whole oats, a coffee can of sweet feed (the folders metal can) a pound of whole corn, and two to three pounds rabbit pellets, occasionally I'll put some Flax seed in it. Is this good for my goats? In your average handful you'll get two/three pieces of whole corn, 75% oats, and the rest rabbit pellets/sweet feed mix. At most they'll get 2/3 handfuls at a time, maybe a little more if I'm trying to catch them.

Otherwise they mostly eat pasture. SHOULD I be supplementing with something else? Or is pasture OK for them if they are keeping condition?

Last edited:
I have some GasX! I didn't know it'd be useful! That's great to hear! 

So, would this be the 'hallowing out' stage? This could be or she could make you wait longer. from my experience if there is movement and udder development your doe is in her last month of pregnancy. So it could be now or in 3 more weeks. Where the babies have been dropping into position for delivery?

I noticed her tail ligaments had gone mushy around noon-ish last night. I've read that means within 24 hours she'll kid. So will I have goat babies by noon?  Sometimes ligaments can come and go so this depends on your doe.

And can you tell how many babies are in there by looking at her? No but for triplets she would have to be very large every doe is different. I had one you would have never even known she was pregnant until 24 hrs before she gave birth. .I'm hoping for triplets. A Boy and two girls. A Friend of mine wants a new billy for his flock and I want two more little milkers for mine! (Hopefully tamer, because Tea herself isn't too fond of the touchy feely stuff. )

Also, I have a mix goat treat that I feed them from time to time. I thought it'd be good for them, but if chicken feed is bad I don't want to accidentally make them sick. It's 5 gallons of whole oats, a coffee can of sweet feed (the folders metal can) a pound of whole corn, and two to three pounds rabbit pellets, occasionally I'll put some Flax seed in it. Is this good for my goats? In your average handful you'll get two/three pieces of whole corn, 75% oats, and the rest rabbit pellets/sweet feed mix. At most they'll get 2/3 handfuls at a time, maybe a little more if I'm trying to catch them.  I am not an expert on what is good to feed so I can not answer this for you. There are a lot of opinions out there on what is good to feed.

Otherwise they mostly eat pasture. SHOULD I be supplementing with something else? Or is pasture OK for them if they are keeping condition? If they are losing body condition they need more also while producing milk they tend to lose body condition my three does that are nursing their kids get 2 cups in the morning and evening of grain, alphalfa, and beet pulp mix. I only give them what they need to maintain weight sometimes I have to adjust the amount but it is important to do it slow. Also you do not want to over feed in the last month of pregnancy the baby or babies can grow to big so do not feed too much. Pasture and hay are best but if you do not have a good loose mineral available they do need that.

I answered all your questions in the quote but wasn't sure how to make them red

Back
Top Bottom