HELP Ducks dying on day 28 I have put safety hole in un pipped egg

LisaMurph

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
Hi Im new to this. I have 28 day Aylesbury x khaki campbell duck eggs 2 left from 4. I also have 2 mandarin eggs left as the 3rd died due to not externally pipping. I am heartbroken as i fear im losing the others. I candled as there was no movement or pipping. One has definitely passed. I thought one of the mandaring eggs had internally pipped so i put a small pinhole in the airsac, now i am doubting myself if it had actually pipped or was just pushing on the membrane. I am so worried about losing the rest. The 2 remaining X eggs one was moving yesterday I havnt seen the other move, I canddled at the same time and see no movement or pipping. The incubator is homemade but has just successfully hatched 3 out of 4 silkie eggs. Humidity has been at 55% then 65% for lockdown and I have just upped to 70% temp has been at 37.4 throughout incubation after i put pinhole in. I am now convinced that I have killed 1 and the others are dead. Im so grateful for any advice.

Is there any bruising on the eggs outside of the air cell area ?
How big is the safety hole ?
Don’t panic about day 28 as it’s not a has to hatch they day. Babies can come early or late
Movement can be hard to see before hatch as the eggs are full and many have made the mistake and opened them up to find a baby still alive and in jeopardy from the egg being opened
Can you see any veins in the small area between air cell and bsby ?
Veins equal life and they go away quickly when a baby passes

Thankyou. No veins I just used a pin so tiny hole but it's a tiny mandarin egg. I have the humidity up to 85. I think there may of been movement in one of the mix breed eggs. I've been so careful. It's just heartbreaking. I welcome any advice at all. It may of pipped the air sack was a slightly different shape with some movement. My week old silkies are keeping me going xx

All 3 like to sleep on my hand. I just hope I can hatch these little ducks. Xx

Attachments

• 20230515_204008.jpg
    20230515_204008.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 12
Thankyou. No veins I just used a pin so tiny hole but it's a tiny mandarin egg. I have the humidity up to 85. I think there may of been movement in one of the mix breed eggs. I've been so careful. It's just heartbreaking. I welcome any advice at all. It may of pipped the air sack was a slightly different shape with some movement. My week old silkies are keeping me going xx
I would give them more time
I only do pin hole size if I need to help as the bigger the hole the more you need ti be on and out of the bator
So good job on keeping it small
I would give it 24 hours and recheck
I haven’t hatched manderin ducks before so I’m not sure if the eggs are easy to see through or not
I don’t loose many but I have lost some and it’s very heartbreaking
Sometimes we blame ourselves but even in nature and under mom they loose some too

Back
Top Bottom