Pics

Lukemjm

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2019
Oregon, USA
3 nights ago, our two ducks (1.5 year old Pekin Male, 2.5 year old Saxony female) were attacked by a mink or weasel. I awoke at 4am to my dog (so proud of him) barking and growling incessantly out the window in the direction of our duck run. I was concerned for our little guys, and went out to check on them. Much to my horror, they were both covered in blood, laying in the rain. Our Saxony was laying with her neck outstretched, motionless and I thought she was dead for sure. Our Pekin was flopping around, trying to stand. Thank God they were both alive. I immediately brought them inside, dumped some shavings in a corner of my house, and set up a heat lamp and some fresh water. They both drank a teeny bit, but mostly just stayed still. The bleeding stopped within a couple hours . Once stores opened up, I went and got some poultry electrolytes and ordered pure b vitamin supplements online. That first day, I mostly spent varmint-proofing their run and coop. They have been outside for two days eating and drinking, but hardly eating compared to normal. Today when I got home from work, our Saxony was standing in her coop with her head hung low, bill on the ground. We brought her back inside and gave her more electrolyte water, fed her mashed chick starter with b vitamins and milk thistle powder mixed in through a syringe. she ate about 2tbsp of it before she had enough with our fussing. She was doing better for an hour or so, but her head is now drooping again. We moved both of our ducks inside for the night (it's getting down into the 30s at night and our Saxony is still recovering from wetfeather and not entirely waterproofed yet). They are both still very lethargic and clumsy, but they waddle around and bathe and flap their wings. I don't know what to do from here. I just want our babies to be healthy.
15514175972545134572695240868874.jpg
15514176755018972401866264252752.jpg
She is like this all the time, except for the hour or so after we fed her with the syringe. Help?!?

If they are pulled by the head, like our Rou was by a coyote , they can recover but they have to be treated with antibiotics. Rou has some long term problems but the vet did b
Not think she would make the night. She recovered with daily antibiotic and eating treats for the first couple days.by the 4th day she started eating regular food again. I suggest a vet if they can to get you set up with antibiotics treat any visible wounds with non painkiller antibiotic cream. If anyone else who knows more please chime in. @Miss Lydia . They will want to know about poop too.keep us up to date

Back
Top Bottom