HELP! ducklings beak behind yolk sac??

Pics

quackkquack__

Songster
Jun 30, 2022
North Coralina
Help! I need help with my duckling, Lovebug..
I opened the safety hole a little wider because he kept pushing the membrane and it was covering the hole. Then I noticed no beak.. I opened the egg wider to find no beak but I can see the elbow of the wing. Next to the yolk sac (some of the egg is barely opened above the yolk sac but the membrane is still covering it) is it's foot but it's difficult to see it.
I can see squirming and movement near the yolk sac and whenever Lovebug peeps, its coming from the yolk sacs direction! I can't open the egg anymore without busting a vein and probably injuring the yolk sac. I can't find the beak and I made a small slit in the membrane so it can get air but it's next to the yolk sac and I don't think it did much.
I'm not sure what to do, hes pretty active and seems to be absorbing still (the yolk sac seems pretty small but hard to see). Is it 100% necessary to find his beak asap and make a hole where it is or will he be okay because hes peeping every now and then? Hes not talking a lot but every now and then.
I'm hoping he can hatch safely and absorb the yolk and veins (there are still a few plump red veins) and be okay but I don't know what to do. I accidentally opened the egg in the wrong direction (more towards its wing then the beak) so the hole is a little bigger than I wish it to be..

Help! I need help with my duckling, Lovebug..
I opened the safety hole a little wider because he kept pushing the membrane and it was covering the hole. Then I noticed no beak.. I opened the egg wider to find no beak but I can see the elbow of the wing. Next to the yolk sac (some of the egg is barely opened above the yolk sac but the membrane is still covering it) is it's foot but it's difficult to see it.
I can see squirming and movement near the yolk sac and whenever Lovebug peeps, its coming from the yolk sacs direction! I can't open the egg anymore without busting a vein and probably injuring the yolk sac. I can't find the beak and I made a small slit in the membrane so it can get air but it's next to the yolk sac and I don't think it did much.
I'm not sure what to do, hes pretty active and seems to be absorbing still (the yolk sac seems pretty small but hard to see). Is it 100% necessary to find his beak asap and make a hole where it is or will he be okay because hes peeping every now and then? Hes not talking a lot but every now and then.
I'm hoping he can hatch safely and absorb the yolk and veins (there are still a few plump red veins) and be okay but I don't know what to do. I accidentally opened the egg in the wrong direction (more towards its wing then the beak) so the hole is a little bigger than I wish it to be..
My mom's boyfriend used to hatch ducks and maybe chickens and he was able to help me! He told me the duckling needs to finish absorbing a bit more before we can do anything else but Lovebug is getting air.

Found his beak! It's RIGHT next to the yolk sac, I'm afraid of it getting messed up! There seems to be a piece out of the egg on top of the membrane that looks a bit green-ish but still pretty normal looking, not sure if it's still attached, I didn't try to pull it off and I'm not sure if it's infected and what to do if it is.

Found his beak! It's RIGHT next to the yolk sac, I'm afraid of it getting messed up! There seems to be a piece out of the egg on top of the membrane that looks a bit green-ish but still pretty normal looking, not sure if it's still attached, I didn't try to pull it off and I'm not sure if it's infected and what to do if it is.
Can you get a photo of the pip/hole?

Can you get a photo of the pip/hole?
I still have a photo if you need one but it probably doesn't matter anymore, hes ready to get out!!
Hes absorbed all the yolk and there are a few veins that still need to be absorbed but hes talking a lot and seems to have moved positions a bit so his foot is directly at the hole.. I'm going to try and locate his beak which by the sounds of it, is nearby.

be careful around the veins. have a dry paper towel ready to apply to any bleeding just in case. Can you see any yawning or chewing? A photo would still be good to see.
I don't see any yawning or chewing, I don't see the yolk any more but still a few veins.
The membrane was stuck to his but the veins were dried and absorbed so I was able to cut it since I couldn't get to his head, I'm going to see if he can get himself out first.
There are a few veins left that are on the membrane that is attached to the egg but they aren't very big or plump, but I don't see any yawning or chewing no more.

Here is a picture, like I said, I accidentally made the whole too big and I'm quite upset about it but hes been fine nonetheless.
1663073693850.png

I don't see any yawning or chewing, I don't see the yolk any more but still a few veins.
The membrane was stuck to his but the veins were dried and absorbed so I was able to cut it since I couldn't get to his head, I'm going to see if he can get himself out first.
There are a few veins left that are on the membrane that is attached to the egg but they aren't very big or plump, but I don't see any yawning or chewing no more.

Here is a picture, like I said, I accidentally made the whole too big and I'm quite upset about it but hes been fine nonetheless.
View attachment 3258355
With the hole that big and the veins still active I would recommend taking some Neosporin or Vaseline with a q tip and coating the membrane so it doesn't stick to the duckling then let him finish on his own.

Back
Top Bottom