Help! Duckling shell cracked open, but no pip!

dearheartshomestead

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
Hi - I’m not sure what to do! My mama Muscovy seems to have pecked open one of her eggs exposing the inner membrane, but there is no pip. It looked yesterday like the duckling had started to pip the side of the shell, rather than through the air sac. Then today, the shell is pecked open through the air sac and indented where it looked like it had tried to pip, but the inner membrane seems to be intact. I’m afraid mama duck will break the membrane too fast. What should I do? Place it in an incubator? Assist? I’m wondering if it is malpositioned and it did indeed try to pip yesterday unsuccessfully. Thank you so much for any advice! Baby is alive - I can see it moving!
6CE12FA1-43EA-4932-B074-3BC06B7663E7.jpeg

Hi - I’m not sure what to do! My mama Muscovy seems to have pecked open one of her eggs exposing the inner membrane, but there is no pip. It looked yesterday like the duckling had started to pip the side of the shell, rather than through the air sac. Then today, the shell is pecked open through the air sac and indented where it looked like it had tried to pip, but the inner membrane seems to be intact. I’m afraid mama duck will break the membrane too fast. What should I do? Place it in an incubator? Assist? I’m wondering if it is malpositioned and it did indeed try to pip yesterday unsuccessfully. Thank you so much for any advice! Baby is alive - I can see it moving!View attachment 2141534
Just put it in an incubator and wait. There's still too many blood veins. Put some coconut oil onthe membrane so it doesn't dry out as fast. Then just let it sit until tonight or tomorrow. It needs a lot of time yet.

Hi, Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Set the duckling in an incubator, you won't want her under mama. I might very gently dap the membrane with a moistener like coconut oil, Neosporin, or food-grade mineral oil, after that, keep the humidity high and leave her be, there are some obvious veins in their.

Hi - I’m not sure what to do! My mama Muscovy seems to have pecked open one of her eggs exposing the inner membrane, but there is no pip. It looked yesterday like the duckling had started to pip the side of the shell, rather than through the air sac. Then today, the shell is pecked open through the air sac and indented where it looked like it had tried to pip, but the inner membrane seems to be intact. I’m afraid mama duck will break the membrane too fast. What should I do? Place it in an incubator? Assist? I’m wondering if it is malpositioned and it did indeed try to pip yesterday unsuccessfully. Thank you so much for any advice! Baby is alive - I can see it moving!View attachment 2141534
Looks like mama duck tried to assist. Here is an article to help you out. I would fire up the incubator and follow these instructions if you want to save it. It will most likely not make it if you return it under the mama like that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Just put it in an incubator and wait. There's still too many blood veins. Put some coconut oil onthe membrane so it doesn't dry out as fast. Then just let it sit until tonight or tomorrow. It needs a lot of time yet.
Thank you so much for the response. I did just as you suggested. Is there any way to know if/when to help? I’m obviously hoping he can do the rest! Thanks again!

THE main thing you want to look out for is shrinkwrapping, if the duckling hasn't poked through the membrane, and the membrane starts to dry the duckling may suffocate, make sure to keep it moist.

Back
Top Bottom