Help! Duckling pipped but looks like its turned around now!

Jcarnahan

Chirping
Dec 17, 2021
I have a duckling that pipped over 24 hours ago. The little one is still peapung and wiggling but it looks like it is turned around now and the membrane looks like it is starting yo dry out(humidity is at 72%). Im really trying to intervene too much but its not progressing and I don't know what I can do. How do I tell if it is stuck and what do I do if it is? Ive watched viedeos on helping a duckling hatch but I really don't want to freak out and do too much and actually causing harm. Any help would be greatly appreciate!

I know how upsetting this situation can be so I will try to keep this as simple as I can.

Take the egg in your hands and carefully remove a piece of shell until you can see the membrane covering the duckling.

Should you see that the veins of the membrane are full of blood, put the egg back in the incubator.

If the membrane is bloodless, remove it from over the duckling, uncovering the baby as though the shell had zipped normally. Remove the shell and membrane on the round end. DO NOT take the duckling completely out of the shell. It needs to push itself free.

Put it back in the incubator. Should the duckling not wiggle free after 1 hour, it is likely stuck, so remove a tiny amount of shell and membrane. At this point I would carefully help the baby free of the egg shell. Good luck.

I know how upsetting this situation can be so I will try to keep this as simple as I can.

Take the egg in your hands and carefully remove a piece of shell until you can see the membrane covering the duckling.

Should you see that the veins of the membrane are full of blood, put the egg back in the incubator.

If the membrane is bloodless, remove it from over the duckling, uncovering the baby as though the shell had zipped normally. Remove the shell and membrane on the round end. DO NOT take the duckling completely out of the shell. It needs to push itself free.

Put it back in the incubator. Should the duckling not wiggle free after 1 hour, it is likely stuck, so remove a tiny amount of shell and membrane. At this point I would carefully help the baby free of the egg shell. Good luck.
I did exactly this. She hatched beautifully. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• FD99FAF6-B44C-4456-8C75-79839D68136C.jpeg
    FD99FAF6-B44C-4456-8C75-79839D68136C.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom