Help! Chickens stopped laying!

Feb 26, 2024
Hello again everyone! I have 15 chickens (Two roos and 13 hens.) and they stopped laying! I live in Florida and it is summer time so I don't think it is a matter of day lengths or temperature. They free range on days that I am home and when I'm not, they have a long tunnel that leads to a second run to protect them from hawks (We have a big hawk problem here.). I feed them Purina egg laying pellets about once or twice week (Depending on how long they were free ranged that week.) but I don't think it's food related. They always have fresh water and are not stressed as far as I know. Only one of our hens are laying at the moment and we need some eggs to sell! Help!
61KtZzU80QL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg

Hello! How old are they? When your chickens get older, they stop laying eggs (3-4 years old). How much daylight are they getting in Florida? They need at least 14 hours of daylight to produce an egg. Are they getting enough protein? BYE!!! hope you found this helpful... just ask if you have you have more questions!
1714660817544.png

Hello! How old are they? When your chickens get older, they stop laying eggs (3-4 years old). How much daylight are they getting in Florida? They need at least 14 hours of daylight to produce an egg. Are they getting enough protein? BYE!!! hope you found this helpful... just ask if you have you have more questions!View attachment 3818581
Hello there! My babies are about 2-3 years old (Some not even 2 years.) so I don't think it has to do with their age. We have pretty young hens. Only four of my chickens are slightly old (Almost 3 years old).
We have daylight here for a little over 13 hours so it should be enough right?
Not sure if they are getting enough protein. What should I give them to help with that?

Thank you!!

Hello! How old are they? When your chickens get older, they stop laying eggs (3-4 years old). How much daylight are they getting in Florida? They need at least 14 hours of daylight to produce an egg. Are they getting enough protein? BYE!!! hope you found this helpful... just ask if you have you have more questions!View attachment 3818581
Mostly correct. Age will reduce, but not eliminate egg production. Mine lay best for 2 seasons, reduce ~20% in year 3 and are clearly less productive by year 4. I have a 7 year old barred rock that still lays periodically.
---
@Charlotteandfriends - Do you still have the tag on the Layena bag? How old is it? Did you have any problems with that bag (mold/etc)? I'm curious about this statement: "I feed them Purina egg laying pellets about once or twice week". Do they have access to the pellets all the time and you just refill once or twice/week or are they primarily free ranging and only give some pellets that often? Improper feed/nutrition is a big potential factor.

PS- I recommend that you add your general location in your profile. It will then show up with each post and it will make it easier for us to help you as many questions/answers can be affected by location.

What do you mean by you only feed them once or twice a week? Is that when you top off their feeder?
If you really are giving them food once oe twice a week, you need to allow access to feed all day, every day.
First poster is right, protein is a major player on laying, so are other nutritional factors, what they find by free ranging is not enough for them to be able to live and be productive.
Get a nice grower or all flock feed that's 18%-20% protein, as roosters shouldn't eat layer feed. Provide it all day.
They also could be scared of a predator lurking about, chickens don't lay when they don't feel safe.
Have you checked for mites?

Mostly correct. Age will reduce, but not eliminate egg production. Mine lay best for 2 seasons, reduce ~20% in year 3 and are clearly less productive by year 4. I have a 7 year old barred rock that still lays periodically.
---
@Charlotteandfriends - Do you still have the tag on the Layena bag? How old is it? Did you have any problems with that bag (mold/etc)? I'm curious about this statement: "I feed them Purina egg laying pellets about once or twice week". Do they have access to the pellets all the time and you just refill once or twice/week or are they primarily free ranging and only give some pellets that often? Improper feed/nutrition is a big potential factor.

PS- I recommend that you add your general location in your profile. It will then show up with each post and it will make it easier for us to help you as many questions/answers can be affected by location.
The Layena bag is very new and has no mold or any other problems. They do not have access to pellets all the time only when I feel like they need it ( Once or twice a week.). If they are out free ranging and I have to put them away, I will lure them in the coop with pellets. I want to make sure they are getting enough of what they need but not sure what to give them or do differently.

What do you mean by you only feed them once or twice a week? Is that when you top off their feeder?
If you really are giving them food once oe twice a week, you need to allow access to feed all day, every day.
First poster is right, protein is a major player on laying, so are other nutritional factors, what they find by free ranging is not enough for them to be able to live and be productive.
Get a nice grower or all flock feed that's 18%-20% protein, as roosters shouldn't eat layer feed. Provide it all day.
They also could be scared of a predator lurking about, chickens don't lay when they don't feel safe.
Have you checked for mites?
No, I don't give them access to feed all the time, Only when I think they need it or when I am putting them away. I will definitely start feeding them more with a different type of feed. The Layena pellets that I am feeding now have 16% protein... So I need to change that.
We don't have a problem with predators (*Knock on wood*) except for hawks that fly around periodically (But I don't think they are bothered by them when they are in their coop.).
Haven't seen any signs of mites but also haven't checked recently.

What type of feed do you suggest?

No, I don't give them access to feed all the time, Only when I think they need it or when I am putting them away. I will definitely start feeding them more with a different type of feed. The Layena pellets that I am feeding now have 16% protein... So I need to change that.
We don't have a problem with predators (*Knock on wood*) except for hawks that fly around periodically (But I don't think they are bothered by them when they are in their coop.).
Haven't seen any signs of mites but also haven't checked recently.

What type of feed do you suggest?
A chick grower feed or an all flock feed, with 18%-20% protein. You can throw out oyster shells for your hens.

You may be having an issue with a hidden nest. The girls may have found a nice, safe place that you aren't aware of and have been piling up eggs there.
That's what I thought before but they aren't out often enough to have time to lay in a secret spot. They usually just walk right in the coop to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom