Help! Bloody diarrhea in chickens after deworming

azchickens14

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2014
Northern Arizona
Im wondering if any of you could help me. So a little over a month ago i noticed there were little flecks of blood and what looked like tissue in my chickens droppings. I treated them with liquid Corrid thinking it was coccidia, but it didnt seem to help. All of them looked good and healthy and were producing eggs, but i started wondering if it was actually worms. Everyday i would look at their poop (looking like a crazy chicken lady of course) and would see nothing. Then about two weeks ago i saw what looked like sesame flecks in their poop and then an actual tape worm segment. I looked up worming treatments and on this past sunday gave them each a pea size amount of pancur horse dewormer (fenbendazole). Ever since then i have found some have extremely bloody droppings on the board every morning :'( . Of course there are no dead worm bodies to be found. Is this normal after deworming chickens? Did some of them get too much dewormer? Is there something more going on disease wise? Everyone still looks happy and is eating and drinking well. I started giving them a probiotic vitamin electrolyte supplement in their water two days ago, but no change as of this morning. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you all so much.

Im wondering if any of you could help me. So a little over a month ago i noticed there were little flecks of blood and what looked like tissue in my chickens droppings. I treated them with liquid Corrid thinking it was coccidia, but it didnt seem to help. All of them looked good and healthy and were producing eggs, but i started wondering if it was actually worms. Everyday i would look at their poop (looking like a crazy chicken lady of course) and would see nothing. Then about two weeks ago i saw what looked like sesame flecks in their poop and then an actual tape worm segment. I looked up worming treatments and on this past sunday gave them each a pea size amount of pancur horse dewormer (fenbendazole). Ever since then i have found some have extremely bloody droppings on the board every morning :'( . Of course there are no dead worm bodies to be found. Is this normal after deworming chickens? Did some of them get too much dewormer? Is there something more going on disease wise? Everyone still looks happy and is eating and drinking well. I started giving them a probiotic vitamin electrolyte supplement in their water two days ago, but no change as of this morning. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you all so much.

That much blood in the poop is not good and no it's not normal after de-worming. You most likely have something else going on.
Is it only one bird or can you tell?
How old are they?

If you can get a fecal sample to your vet for testing that would be best. Have them check for cocci, worms and bacteria.

Bloody poop is usually associated with Cocci, but there are other illnesses than can present with blood in the stool. Anyone going off feed or acting a bit tired?

Since your Second Dose of de-wormer would be 10days from Sunday? you would have time to treat with Corid, so if they were mine, I would go ahead and treat for cocci. If the bloody poop continues after a couple of days of Cocci treatment, then you really need a fecal sample tested.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the link! I'm so worried about them right now. Im thinking it might be coccidiosis that flared back up again but dont know for sure. Unfortunately the small town i live in doesnt have a vet that i could take a fecal sample to. Im thinking treat with corid again and sanitize their area :/

That much blood in the poop is not good and no it's not normal after de-worming. You most likely have something else going on.
Is it only one bird or can you tell?
How old are they?

If you can get a fecal sample to your vet for testing that would be best. Have them check for cocci, worms and bacteria.

Bloody poop is usually associated with Cocci, but there are other illnesses than can present with blood in the stool. Anyone going off feed or acting a bit tired?

Since your Second Dose of de-wormer would be 10days from Sunday? you would have time to treat with Corid, so if they were mine, I would go ahead and treat for cocci.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

Thank you wyorp rock!! I have never dewormed before, but my gut kept telling me this shouldnt be happening. They are a mixed age flock with as old a 3 years and as young as 4 months. It seems like it is maybe 3 or 4 birds out of 12 based upon the location of poops on the poop board. As of tonight everyone is eating good and seems to have a lot of energy. The nearest vet is about an hour away, but i am starting to think it would be good to drive that far for a stool test. I have more corid still so i will definitely start treatment for that in the morning. I feel so bad for them...

azchickens14, I would drive that hour to have it tested, if it was me. That way you will know what it is, how you can correctly treat it, and not end up loosing your whole flock from it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom