HELP! Baby chick has intestines coming out.

spoiledpooh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
My baby chick was just hatched about 3 hrs ago and I noticed blood were the chick was laying and saw the intestines coming out. I am so afraid I am going to lose the chick and I do not know what to do to save the baby chick. Can anyone please help me, its my 4 yrs old daughter's baby chick.

I am so sorry, I cull these immediately. I know some people push their insides back in and seal the hole with super glue, no clue if that works.

I'm not sure about chicks. But my neighbor has a bearded dragon and it pooped its intestines out. They pushed them in with a q-tip and watched it closely and it is still alive after 3 years. Like i said to different animals but similar in size and same problem. I hope he/she ends up being fine. <3

ive seen this happen on incubator hatched chicks, usually if you leave it alone the chick will re absorb it. different people have different beliefs on the egg laying abilities and fertility of grown chickens that this has happened to.
best of luck!

Loveourbirds, the chick is chirping away, but I'm not sure if the chick will reabsorb the intestines, I have read with previous forums of old wise tells, but I'm not sure if I should do that and pushing it back in might hurt the chick. The mother hen abandonded the egg while it was starting to hatch and she hardly layed on it, but my husband helped it out and this is what happened to it. I do not know if this happen because the hen wasn't laying on it that often or it just nature, but my daughter is so upset. I don't know what to do, the chick stopped trying to stand up and the chick doesn't eat or drink.

when I was new to hatching chicks, I helped a few out (I usually wont do it now). the problem your having is the yolk didn't absorb all the way. most of the time the chick does not make it, but a few will, I've heard of people pushing it in, but I never have. more than likely the best thing to do is cull the chick. but there is some hope.

Thank you everyone for the help.....

The chick is doing a little better, I am feeding the chick with a syringe and the chick is drinking and eating a little bit everyday, but still a little weak. I been applying antibiotic cream that the vet told me to put on it so it will keep away infections, but it is starting to dry up now and I do not know what to do. The chick tries to get up and walk but it can't hold up his/her head up very long.

Thank you everyone for the help.....

The chick is doing a little better, I am feeding the chick with a syringe and the chick is drinking and eating a little bit everyday, but still a little weak. I been applying antibiotic cream that the vet told me to put on it so it will keep away infections, but it is starting to dry up now and I do not know what to do. The chick tries to get up and walk but it can't hold up his/her head up very long.   

He must have been a premature. I've had two and they absorb the yolk and are happily playing in the brooder.

We have had the same issue from what I can find is it happen also in humans. Two of mine past bleeding hemrage. take to vet.immediately . I think it's a genetic defect. It has to have surgery to be repaired.mekels diverticulum . It's serous .dont pull it. It will die.take to vet who can do surgery .avian/exotic vet.

Thumb for thought for you. Choices there is a sick injured or new born care unit you can get it's pricey. Or you can have another incubators ready for chicks that need extra care and heat. Sometimes the added days can help.they need more heat. They can't get out side the incubator . You can add company if needed . But usually they need time to heal. Where you can add food and water .intell you can get a little help.it gives you a chance .

Back
Top Bottom