Help! assisting a hatching chick! There is blood! *pictures* HELP

MelissaRose

R.I.P. Lissie
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Maine
Hello all,
I have an egg that is having trouble hatching. The chick opens and closes their mouth which I heard means they a still absorbing their yolk. I have the egg in a box with a heat lamp and jar of warm water and its about 95f. I know its supposed to be 99-100f, but does it matter with it this close to hatching?
I pealed away some membrane so it can breath and now theres some blood. The chick will also occasionally chirp and try to push against the eggs which I thought means their ready to get out.
What should I do now? I stopped peeling the membrane because there was blood and so now its just sitting there opening and closing it mouth a little. I am concerned about peeling the shell away to see if it has absorbed the yolk because if it hasn't I don't think it should be out of the shell. Am I wrong?
I will post pictures soon and can answer questions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tagging: @Pyxis @casportpony :bow

Here are pictures:

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 194
Its not bleeding when I peel membrane now, at least if it is it's not much because I don't notice it and think "whoa, I better stop." It's also squirming and pushing and chirping a lot more. Should I help a little?

I'd leave it alone for a while. The song goes "you can't hurry love", but you also can't hurry chicks. It's been in there for 21 days, so a few more hours won't hurt.
It might be squirming because it's chilled, can you get the temp up?

I might be able to raise the temp a little. Its bleeding a little also if I peel a little more.

Its not bleeding when I peel membrane now, at least if it is it's not much because I don't notice it and think "whoa, I better stop." It's also squirming and pushing and chirping a lot more. Should I help a little?
Well only you see what your doing. If it’s struggling out yes help it. Plus zippering it out in the natural way is best.

I'd let it be. Bleeding means it's not ready. There's no need to peel membrane away as long as it can breathe. It looks like you've opened the shell up enough at this point that when it's ready, it can just push itself out. For now I would just focus on keeping the temperature correct and keeping the humidity as close to 65% as you can.

When you say it was having trouble hatching, what was going on that looked like it needed help? Had it been over 24 hours from the time it externally pipped?

Back
Top Bottom