Help! 5week old chick unable to walk more than a few steps

Mganson99

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
My 5 week old chick is suddenly unable to walk more than a few steps before plopping down and laying in the bedding. She walks very clumsily, almost on her hocks too. Once laying she kind of trembles and her breathing seems more labored than it should, and I even saw her poop while laying down once.

She does still eat and drink plenty and even jumped up on the edge of the enclosure to greet me when I opened it.

She was vaccinated for Mareks disease and given medicated crumble her first few days. I have given her rooster booster b-12, some sesame seeds (for riboflavin), and nutridrench this evening and she seemed to perk up a bit, but still lays down a lot and isn’t walking properly. I have also separated her from the others for now in case it is something contagious, and I’m trying to get her to a vet tomorrow but what do you think? Could it just be a vitamin deficiency or some sort of sickness?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! I’m a brand new chicken parent and extremely anxious!

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpeg
    IMG_5593.jpeg
    821 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5605.jpeg
    IMG_5605.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 3
We give apple cider vinegar to our chicks to help with respiratory and digestive issues. I don’t know if it will help a whole lot since it’s more of a preventative but it might be worth a try? It does sound like it might be a vitamin deficiency.

We give apple cider vinegar to our chicks to help with respiratory and digestive issues. I don’t know if it will help a whole lot since it’s more of a preventative but it might be worth a try? It does sound like it might be a vitamin deficiency.
Thank you!! I was just reading about this. Definitely going to start incorporating it.

Acv won't do anything, especially not in a dilution that chickens will drink and especially not with municipal water.

Back
Top Bottom