Hellooo! New to this group AND starting a new flock!

Malykaly

Chirping
Mar 21, 2024
Hello, chicken lovers. :D I am a mom of 4 adult kids, 3 grandkids and 16 new little female chickies. We had a flock of rhode island reds about 10 years ago, but life was busy and I let the flock dwindle down. 14 Sapphire gem chicks arrived this morning (some are going to a friend) and we have 2 other 2.5 wk olds that I really would like to have your opinions on what they are (see attached 2 pics).

The older chicks were picked up at our local Tractor Supply store and whoever received the shipment, put them all in one brooder without separating by breed. Ooops. They told my I had two blue prairie eggers, but from my research, they looked nothing like the chicks I found online. I grabbed these two because they had white spots on their heads (one larger spot than the other and that same chick was a bit larger) and was hoping for a rooster. The larger one has more gray bands . Both their feet are yellow/grayish color. They do not look at all like my new sapphire gems.

I am planning on raising them organically this time (to the best of my ability) and have already gleaned so much information from this group before I even joined. Thanks for any input and I am happy to be a chicken mom again.

Attachments

• new chicks.jpg
    new chicks.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2 week old chicks.jpg
    2 week old chicks.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 8
Hello, chicken lovers. :D I am a mom of 4 adult kids, 3 grandkids and 16 new little female chickies. We had a flock of rhode island reds about 10 years ago, but life was busy and I let the flock dwindle down. 14 Sapphire gem chicks arrived this morning (some are going to a friend) and we have 2 other 2.5 wk olds that I really would like to have your opinions on what they are (see attached 2 pics).

The older chicks were picked up at our local Tractor Supply store and whoever received the shipment, put them all in one brooder without separating by breed. Ooops. They told my I had two blue prairie eggers, but from my research, they looked nothing like the chicks I found online. I grabbed these two because they had white spots on their heads (one larger spot than the other and that same chick was a bit larger) and was hoping for a rooster. The larger one has more gray bands . Both their feet are yellow/grayish color. They do not look at all like my new sapphire gems.

I am planning on raising them organically this time (to the best of my ability) and have already gleaned so much information from this group before I even joined. Thanks for any input and I am happy to be a chicken mom again.
Hello and welcome.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome

Those look like Sapphire gems to me, and yes, both roos for sure.
The ones with white spots on their heads are rooster and the all gray Sapphire gem chicks are females. Usually males are light gray with a white spot on their head, but I guess yours might grow up to be a darker gray!

Could u attach a pic of your other Sapphire gem chicks for comparison?

I hope u enjoy your chickens, Sapphire gems are a really cool breed that lays huge eggs, sometimes double-yolkers.
My Sapphire gem rooster is the sweetest and loved being held and cuddled, I'll attach a pic.
I had no knowledge when I first got them that they were auto-sexed breeds (meaning that u can tell the gender by the color of their feathers/fluff at birth) and the light-colored males were in the pullet bin at Tractor Supply, where there was a huge color difference in between the two genders, but of course the staff didn't know and so they just threw them all in one bin.

1711051776022.png

Him now

1711051947483.png

and this is my hen Gert
1711052021845.png

Back
Top Bottom