Hello :)

boggart

Songster
Jul 11, 2019
Blanchard, Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Backyard Chickens :) You can call me boggart (the name of my first chicken, a black bantam Cochin hen) or Kaelin, my given name. I’m located in central Oklahoma and am very glad to be here! I can’t wait to make friends and learn lots of new things.

Growing up I had around 25 chickens (specifically bantam Cochins, which we called “banties”) from around age 9 to about age 15. I loved them very much! Collecting their eggs, helping hens brood and take care of their new chicks, and just generally being in their presence as they went about their daily little lives.
An accident with a neighbor’s wolf-dogs led to the death of almost all of these chickens (and 3 pregnant goats, but that’s for another time) and that’s were my chicken story sadly ended.
But recently I realized that I have the time and resources to take care of and enjoy chickens again! So very soon I hope to build my own small coop, purchase a couple of bantam Cochin hens and one cockerel, and begin a new chicken story that will hopefully have a happy ending. :fl

Hello boggart.
Welcome to BYC.
Are you planning to let the hens sit if they will and expand your flock?

I don’t plan on having chicks for a while as I get used to taking care of the chickens and they get used to me. But hopefully we can hatch some in the future

Welcome to BYC.
:yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops.

What exactly did you Google to get here? <<<<<<<<<<<

BYC has an APP!

I googled “Backyard Chickens.” I used to spend a lot of time on this forum as a young teen! So when I realized I wanted chickens again, I came here first.

I don’t plan on having chicks for a while as I get used to taking care of the chickens and they get used to me. But hopefully we can hatch some in the future

I googled “Backyard Chickens.” I used to spend a lot of time on this forum as a young teen! So when I realized I wanted chickens again, I came here first.
I'm sorry to bug your introduction thread but.........
I don't read of many on this forum who buy what I assume are adult chickens; it's how I would go about starting a flock. You've also got the same breed. Again this would be my preference. May I ask why you've gone about starting your flock this way. Just to make it clear, I'm all for starting flocks this way rather than buying some random chicks from a hatchery.

I'm sorry to bug your introduction thread but.........
I don't read of many on this forum who buy what I assume are adult chickens; it's how I would go about starting a flock. You've also got the same breed. Again this would be my preference. May I ask why you've gone about starting your flock this way. Just to make it clear, I'm all for starting flocks this way rather than buying some random chicks from a hatchery.

No worries! And I’d like to start my flock with adult birds for many reasons. These reasons are all my personal beliefs so I mean no offense to anyone who may be reading this.
I do not want to support hatcheries by purchasing chicks from them, I would prefer to support my community by buying or trading from someone local that is preferably kind and humanely cares for their birds.
I believe that starting with juveniles will be very stressful for myself and the chicks, and I want their move-in to be easy, enjoyable, and exciting. Also I am quite the heckler for chicken appearance, so by purchasing adults I will be able to see if they are “quality” or aesthetically pleasing to my eye, and if they have nice personality and demeanor.
If you’d like to know anything else please just ask! :wee

Back
Top Bottom