Hello there! I’m new to the chicken world!

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
Hello! I’ve had our four chicks for a little over three weeks. An Easter Egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte and two golden sex links. We got them for eggs, but I’m quite positive one of the GSL is a roo 😬. I’ve become quite possibly a little obsessed over them... 🥰. I am enjoying this way more than I thought I would!

I’ve been reading on treats for chickens. At the feed store I see mealworms everywhere, but when I was looking up safe treats it says not to feed them mealworms???
Here’s the link: https://cluckin.net/why-is-it-illegal-to-feed-mealworms-to-chickens.html

Also, one site says yes to strawberry tops, the other says no they’re poisonous 😳. I just want to take care of them and give them safe treats. Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hello! I’ve had our four chicks for a little over three weeks. An Easter Egger, Silver Laced Wyandotte and two golden sex links. We got them for eggs, but I’m quite positive one of the GSL is a roo 😬. I’ve become quite possibly a little obsessed over them... 🥰. I am enjoying this way more than I thought I would!

I’ve been reading on treats for chickens. At the feed store I see mealworms everywhere, but when I was looking up safe treats it says not to feed them mealworms???
Here’s the link: https://cluckin.net/why-is-it-illegal-to-feed-mealworms-to-chickens.html

Also, one site says yes to strawberry tops, the other says no they’re poisonous 😳. I just want to take care of them and give them safe treats. Any advice for a newbie would be appreciated! Thank you!
Congrats on your chicks!
Early on, someone gave me a helpful tip that treats should be no more than 10% of their diet, which includes scratch grains (feed only as a treat). As for other treats, mine like shredded cheese pieces, cucumbers, tomato guts, grape pieces, black oil sunflower seeds, cracked corn, blueberries, watermelon, even scrambled eggs!

I give my hens and roosters anything they want. If they turn their beaks up at it, so be it. If not I let them chow down. I see no reason not to give them mealworms. I treat my birds with them on occasion, especially if I need them to go back in their run!

Back
Top Bottom