Hello I am new here!

LauraDenise

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Waco Kentucky
I read an article about a woman with a beautiful garden, and she had some free running chickens clucking around that seemed so happy. I was fascinated and quietly resolved to work towards a similar dream.

I'm just now ready to get started. I have a suitable coop, some supplies, and plan to get my first egg early this Spring. I have no idea of what I'm doing, but am driven by this need to have my own chickens.... just a few perhaps.
big_smile.png

Sooo, I'm hanging out at the Learning Center and trying to educate myself about raising backyard chickens!

I own a large house on a 1.2 acre lot in a country surburb outside of Richmond Kentucky. I'm a Medical Technologist at a Blood Center, and work on weekends only testing donated units for viruses and bacteria. I have a BS degree in Clinical Lab Science from The University of Kentucky and am a UK Basketball freak.

I look forward to getting to know you, and learning about this labor of love.

Welcome to the most knowledgeable chicken site I have ever come across. You will learn everything you need to know here. As you read the various posts, you will learn the MOST important thing of all regarding chickens. That one thing is........................
BUILD IT BIGGER!!!!!

Welcome Lauradenise.

Maybe you should test some of our blood and find out how the chickens get in there. lol..

You will have great fun learning about chickens and those on the site,
sounds like you have a lovely hone there. you and your chickens will enjoy the garden next summer.

Welcome and enjoy,

Jena.

Hello all!

I am new too. My wife and I are converting our house with 3 acre wooded and manicured yard to something that will produce food. Chickens and eggs are just part of our plan.

We have begun to plan and already have torn out the neat grass in place of 1000 sq. foot garden preparing for next spring. We intend to plant fruit trees in the spring in place of some of the natural woods, and last but not least add a chicken coop and some chickens. I have never done this before, but lived for a brief time (few months) in place that had chickens for eggs many years ago. We love eggs, and eat the free range versions we buy at the local grocery store.

I too am reading as much as I can since we want happy healthy chickens. I look forward to reading more of the site and getting insight from people with more experience.

Ken-WA

Welcome to you also Ken-Wa,

I think your plans are th best way ahead these days.

Good luck to you. You will get loads of information here.

Jena.

Hi Ken-Wa! Lesson number one. You should have gotten the chickens first. They would gladly have torn every scrap of vegetation out of your thousand square foot garden, and fertilized it and turned the top bit of soil for you too! Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom