Hello from West Chester,pa.

Hello all,
I am from the West Chester,Pa area(East Bradford twp). I am wanting to keep 4 hens. Right now it is legal to keep chickens if you meet the following
: Structures for the housing of poultry or swine shall be at least 300 feet from any property line.

If you want to keep cows,goats or sheep:

Side and rear yard setbacks shall be maintained for all structures except that buildings for more than two cows, horses, sheep or goats or similar animals shall be constructed or placed at least 100 feet from any property line.

Someone went to a meeting in 2012 to try and get the law changed,Upon discussion there was no consensus among the Supervisors to amend the existing regulations at this time.

One plus, I attended a Backyard chicken class at our local High school. The gentleman giving the class is one the planning commission board for our township. He said, as long as your neighbors don't complain, no one is looking. I plan on talking to the neighbors, I can't see an objections. I know 5 places that have chickens, that don't have the required space, and you can see them from the road!
The townships on either side of us allow chickens, up to 3 on less than an acre. The Boro of Kennett Square has just passed an ordinance that allows chickens to be kept within 15 feet of the line, as long as they are not in the front yard.

Anyone on here from East Bradford?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good to hear you can keep chickens in your area. It is never easy to get those laws changed! You might want to stop by the PA thread and chat with your chicken neighbors on the laws and such....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite

If you have any further questions about keeping chickens, feel free to ask us. You may want to stop by our learning center too for some good articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

IMO, talk with your closest neighbors, if they have no problem with your having a small flock, go for it. And, IMO, a small flock is best housed close to your home so you can more easily tend to their needs and enjoy the experience.

Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.

But it is best to stay in the ordinances. Even the rich and famous have had to move their flocks when they were not in compliance.

Back
Top Bottom