Hello from Sedgefield, Garden Route, South Africa

ForestPhoenix

In the Brooder
May 10, 2024
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not a first time chicken owner and had some chickens on and off for about 4 or 5 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 6 chickens at the moment, had 16 before a honey badger killed all of them. In the previous town I lived I had 20. I'm planning to get more hens, at least 30 or so.

(3) What breeds do you have?
At the moment I have Austrolorps but had Red Lohmann's and Koekoeks and Hyline before.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Everything I suppose! The fun collecting eggs; having them follow me around; letting them out early morning and seeing how happy they are to see me with their morning snacks.... etc etc. I just love watching them and see what they get up to.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Crochet; mushroom foraging; reading; soapmaking

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my partner of 11 years on a farm in a forest estate with 2 dogs and 2 cats. We bought the farm 2 years ago and doing the homesteading thing and also planning to go off grid.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have found BYC on Google and also joined the Facebook group. I guess I just decided today to join this group, don't know why I didn't earlier?

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not a first time chicken owner and had some chickens on and off for about 4 or 5 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 6 chickens at the moment, had 16 before a honey badger killed all of them. In the previous town I lived I had 20. I'm planning to get more hens, at least 30 or so.

(3) What breeds do you have?
At the moment I have Austrolorps but had Red Lohmann's and Koekoeks and Hyline before.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Everything I suppose! The fun collecting eggs; having them follow me around; letting them out early morning and seeing how happy they are to see me with their morning snacks.... etc etc. I just love watching them and see what they get up to.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Crochet; mushroom foraging; reading; soapmaking

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live with my partner of 11 years on a farm in a forest estate with 2 dogs and 2 cats. We bought the farm 2 years ago and doing the homesteading thing and also planning to go off grid.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have found BYC on Google and also joined the Facebook group. I guess I just decided today to join this group, don't know why I didn't earlier?
Welcome. I am sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom